How social media influences shopping behavior
The Great Influencer
The rise of social media over the past decade has not only changed the way people communicate, it has undoubtedly also had an impact on how they shop, be it online or at a boutique around the corner.
Before making a purchase, consumers now have the chance to scroll through thousands of product photos on Instagram or Pinterest, look for promotions on a retailer’s Facebook page or scroll through comments in a brand’s Twitter feed.
According to PwC’s Total Retail 2016, a global survey of nearly 23,000 people, 78 percent of consumers are influenced by social media when shopping online. The following chart sums up in which ways social media affects online shopping behavior.
- Online shopping behavior in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014, by social media useOnline shopping behavior in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014, by social media use
- Social media and online shopping user actions taken in the UK 2013Social media and online shopping user actions taken in the UK 2013
- Social media impact on purchasing according to U.S. teens 2013Social media impact on purchasing according to U.S. teens 2013
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015
- U.S. online shops and mail-order house sales 2003-2015U.S. online shops and mail-order house sales 2003-2015
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Share of e-commerce in retail revenue in Germany 2009-2016Share of e-commerce in retail revenue in Germany 2009-2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl