Massive Military Imbalance Between Russia and Ukraine
As tensions grow amid Russian military activity on the Crimean peninsula, Ukraine has mobilised its armed forces. However, any confrontation with Russia would be enormously one sided, given the massive gulf in size between both militaries.
Russia has at least 845,000 active duty military personnel in comparison to Ukraine’s 123,000. With a defence budget of some $78 billion, the Russian army can rely on some 15,000 tanks and over 27,000 other armoured vehicles.
This is in stark contrast to the Ukrainian army which has an estimated 4,100 tanks alongside 6,400 other armoured fighting vehicles. Ukraine’s air force would also be vastly outnumbered in any conflict – just 400 Soviet-era warplanes compare unfavourably to Russia’s estimated 3,000.
- Beneficiaries of democratic changes in Lithuania, Russia and Ukraine since 1991Beneficiaries of democratic changes in Lithuania, Russia and Ukraine since 1991
- Level of support for economic sanctions on Russia in the UK February 2015Level of support for economic sanctions on Russia in the UK February 2015
- U.S. interest in Russia's involvement in the Ukraine crisis 2014U.S. interest in Russia's involvement in the Ukraine crisis 2014
- Globalization Index - top 100 countries 2017Globalization Index - top 100 countries 2017
- Fatal civil airliner accidents by country and region 1945-2017Fatal civil airliner accidents by country and region 1945-2017
- Monthly inflation rate in China March 2017Monthly inflation rate in China March 2017
- Car production in China 2008-2017Car production in China 2008-2017
- World pharmaceutical sales 2014-2016 by region World pharmaceutical sales 2014-2016 by region
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl