Mobile Subscriptions to Outnumber the World's Population
The mobile revolution passed another milestone this year.
According to Ericsson’s most recent Mobility Report, the number of mobile subscriptions now outnumbers the world’s population. You heard that right: there are more mobile subscriptions than people living on this planet. According to Ericsson’s estimates, the number of mobile subscriptions stood at 7.3 billion at the end of September and will grow to 7.4 billion by the end of the year. Meanwhile the world’s population will climb to 7.35 billion by the end of 2015 according to the United Nations’ projections.
The fact that many people have multiple active or inactive subscriptions more than makes up for the fact that many people still live without a mobile phone. Ericsson puts the number of actual subscribers at 4.9 billion, leaving 2.4 billion people disconnected.
- China: production of cell phones by month February 2017China: production of cell phones by month February 2017
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2021Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2021
- Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2016Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl