Mobile Subscriptions to Outnumber the World's Population
The mobile revolution passed another milestone this year.
According to Ericsson’s most recent Mobility Report, the number of mobile subscriptions now outnumbers the world’s population. You heard that right: there are more mobile subscriptions than people living on this planet. According to Ericsson’s estimates, the number of mobile subscriptions stood at 7.3 billion at the end of September and will grow to 7.4 billion by the end of the year. Meanwhile the world’s population will climb to 7.35 billion by the end of 2015 according to the United Nations’ projections.
The fact that many people have multiple active or inactive subscriptions more than makes up for the fact that many people still live without a mobile phone. Ericsson puts the number of actual subscribers at 4.9 billion, leaving 2.4 billion people disconnected.
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month October 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month October 2016
- China: production of cell phones by month October 2016China: production of cell phones by month October 2016
- U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017
- Wireless revenue of major mobile telecom operators/providers in the U.S. 2011-2015Wireless revenue of major mobile telecom operators/providers in the U.S. 2011-2015
- Share of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendorShare of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendor
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl