Snapchat vs. Instagram
Instagram Stories Blows Past Snapchat
Facebook‘s copycat approach to competing with Snapchat appears to be working. The company introduced several Snapchat-like features to its social platforms in the past year, hoping to beat Snap at its own game. And while “Messenger Day” and WhatsApp’s new “Status” feature, both heavily inspired by Snapchat Stories, have been received with skepticism so far, “Instagram Stories” is threatening to become a real problem for Snap.
According to a recent blog post by Instagram, the platform’s stories feature has passed 200 million daily active users just nine months into its existence. While we have yet to find out how many users Snapchat added since December when 161 million people used the app on a daily basis, it is highly unlikely that Snapchat’s user base will be anywhere near 200 million.
In the weeks leading up to Snap’s IPO in early March, many potential investors were alarmed by the fact that Snapchats quarter-over-quarter user growth slowed down significantly in the third and fourth quarter of 2016 – the same time that Instagram rolled out Instagram Stories. If Facebook continues to relentlessly copy Snapchat’s most beloved features, it’s hard to imagine the latter winning against the social media Goliath that is Facebook.
- U.S. weekly use of Instagram and Snapchat Stories 2016U.S. weekly use of Instagram and Snapchat Stories 2016
- Students using Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat in the Netherlands 2016Students using Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat in the Netherlands 2016
- Instagram and Snapchat usage in Belgium 2014-2016Instagram and Snapchat usage in Belgium 2014-2016
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl