Smartphone shipment share worldwide by operating system 2014-2023

Almost all smartphones shipped worldwide in 2018 are using Google’s Android or Apple’s iOS mobile operating systems. Shipments of Android smartphones accounted for 85.1 percent of the global market, with Apple iPhones making up the other 14.9 percent. The market share is not expected to change over the forthcoming years.

Why is Android so dominant?

The Android operating system was initially unveiled in 2007 and is now the adopted system for almost every smartphone vendor other than Apple. It is an open source platform that allows mobile phone manufacturers to add their own look to the operating system.
Symbian and RIM (Research In Motion), mobile operating systems that ran on Nokia and BlackBerry devices respectively, held around 70 percent of the global market sales share in 2009, but could not keep up with the developments of Google Android and Apple iOS.

Smarter than the average phone

Smartphones combine the practicality of mobile phones and personal computers, and annual worldwide sales of smartphones stand today at around 1.56 billion units – sales a decade earlier were just 139 million. The ten-year boom in global smartphone sales is expected to level off over the forthcoming years, but there are interesting developments from within the Chinese market. Four of the top six smartphone vendors are Chinese manufacturers (Huawei, Xiamoi, Oppo, and Vivo) and they continue to increase their share of the global market.

Share of smartphone shipments worldwide by operating system from 2014 to 2023

AndroidiOS
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

only $59 / month *
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$708 / Year

Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in
Sources

Release date

June 2019

Region

Worldwide

Survey time period

2014 to 2019

Supplementary notes

* Forecast

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $708 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account!

Single Account
Your perfect start with Statista
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references

$59 / Month *

Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax.

Statistics on "Smartphones"

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $708 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.