U.S. Functional Foods Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the functional foods market in the U.S.
The global market of functional food promises to have a bright future according to its compound annual growth rate of 6 percent between the period 2011-2015. At present, there is no universally accepted definition of functional foods. But, according to the International Food Information Council (IFIC), functional foods are “foods or food components that may provide benefits beyond basic nutrition”. Popular product types worldwide include vitamins and dietary supplements, functional beverages such as sport and energy drinks, as well as products fortified with probiotics.
The U.S. market has been invigorated by foods containing added value and/or disease-preventing products. Thereby, each single market faces its own challenges. Functional beverages mainly gained attention by health-conscious consumers, driving sales to an estimated 18.6 billion U.S. dollars by 2015. According to a new report, approximately 24 percent of juice and juice drink product launches featured a functional claim.
Probiotics have been sold on the market since the very start of the functional foods age. Within the category, health-promoting probiotic yogurts will reach approximately 45 billion U.S. dollars in global sales by 2018.
2013 survey results revealed that 72 percent of Americans completely or somewhat agree that functional foods have an meaningful impact their health. An even larger share of consumers in the U.S. were very or at least somewhat interested in learning more about the relation between functional foods and specific health benefits.
Picture: istockphoto.com / buyit
|Market size of fortified/functional foods worldwide||258.8bn USD||Details →|
|Compound annual growth rate of fortified/functional foods worldwide||6%||Details →|
|Vitamins and multivitamins||Statistic|
|Projected U.S. retail sales of vitamins & nutritional supplements by 2017||36.1bn USD||Details →|
|Multivitamin sales of Bayer Healthcare||354.1m USD||Details →|
|Multivitamin sales of Centrum||77.4m USD||Details →|
|Sales growth of Pharmavite||23.1%||Details →|
|Projected retail sales of functional beverages in the U.S.||18.6bn USD||Details →|
|Sales of shelf-stable functional beverages in the U.S.||5.68bn USD||Details →|
|Sales of Gatorade Perform||3.3bn USD||Details →|
|Sales of Red Bull||3bn USD||Details →|
|Global sales of probiotic functional foods||31.74bn USD||Details →|
|Projected sales of probiotic supplements in the U.S.||3.08bn USD||Details →|
|People who completely agree that functional foods have a meaningful impact on health||26%||Details →|
|People who believe vitamins/supplements have health benefits beyond basic nutrition||7%||Details →|
- U.S. functional beverages retail sales 2006-2015+U.S. functional beverages retail sales 2006-2015
Retail sales of functional beverages in the United States from 2006 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Estimated health and wellness food market segments - CAGR 2011-2015Estimated health and wellness food market segments - CAGR 2011-2015
Estimated CAGR of the health and wellness food market worldwide from 2011 to 2015, by segment
- Fortified/functional foods: market size worldwide 2014 and 2020+Fortified/functional foods: market size worldwide 2014 and 2020
Market size of fortified/functional foods worldwide in 2014 and 2020 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Brazilian retail sales of fortified/functional products 2009-2018+Brazilian retail sales of fortified/functional products 2009-2018
Retail sales of fortified/functional products in Brazil from 2009 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Probiotic functional foods: retail sales value North America 2012-2014+Probiotic functional foods: retail sales value North America 2012-2014
Retail sales value of probiotic functional foods in North America from 2012 to 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Share of U.S. beverage launches featuring a functional claim 2015-2016, by category+Share of U.S. beverage launches featuring a functional claim 2015-2016, by category
Share of beverage product launches featuring a functional claim in the United States from March 2015 to February 2016, by category
- Japan: retail sales of functional sports drinks 2010-2020 Japan: retail sales of functional sports drinks 2010-2020
- Pet food market sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by animal typePet food market sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by animal type
- Pet food market value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by animal typePet food market value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by animal type
- Norway: number of noodles and similar farinaceous products manufacturers 2008-2014Norway: number of noodles and similar farinaceous products manufacturers 2008-2014
- Consumer spending in the quick service restaurant sector in the U.S. 2004-2016Consumer spending in the quick service restaurant sector in the U.S. 2004-2016