Pandora - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Pandora Media, Inc.
2016 was an important year for America’s leading online radio company. As of July 2016, Pandora had an average 2.42 million active sessions. It dominated the field over its nearest rival, Spotify, with 1.3 million active sessions. In 2016 it was also estimated that Pandora's paying subscriber base will increase from 3.9 million in 2015 to over 6 million by 2021.
Advertising has, since Pandora’s launch, always generated more revenue than subscription and other services. From January to December 2015, Pandora made 933.31 million U.S. dollars from advertising compared to 220.57 million U.S. dollars from subscriptions. Pandora and other streaming music companies often incorporate advertisements into their free streaming services. One of the attractions of paid subscriptions is often the promise that they will be commercial-free. In March 2014, a survey of weekly radio listeners asked; ‘Would you say listening to commercials is a fair price to pay for free programming on the radio?’ The majority answered yes with 75 percent of respondents who listened to internet audio and 80 percent of AM/FM radio listeners.
Music streaming services offer many appealing features, one of which is the ability to listen to music on the go. As of 2016, 37 percent of consumers in the United States listened to online radio via mobile phone while in a car, a significant increase from the 17 percent in 2012. Pandora listeners worldwide also appreciate the mobile aspect of the service. An estimated 16.2 million users spent time listening to Pandora on mobile devices in 2015, a figure which is expected to increase to 20 million by 2020.
However, Pandora’s ability to offer a wide selection of music comes at a cost. In 2015, Pandora’s share of content acquisition costs was considerable with a 52.4 percent of its overall revenue. In 2012, the share was even higher at an estimated 60.6 percent. The figure is estimated to stay relatively steady until 2022.
It is inherently difficult to make a profit in the streaming music industry. According to Bloomberg Businessweek, it is ‘the existential question of can, or will, anyone make money from streaming?' Pandora, as of the end of 2015, seemed to be suffering from this fate. In the measured period between February 2006 and December 2015, Pandora did not generate a profit. In the fiscal year January to December 2015 Pandora lost 170 million U.S. dollars.
- Royalty fees paid by Pandora 2006-2016+Royalty fees paid by Pandora 2006-2016
Pandora's content acquisition costs (royalty fees) from 2006 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Pandora's monthly share of U.S. radio listening time 2013-2015+Pandora's monthly share of U.S. radio listening time 2013-2015
Pandora's share of U.S. radio listening time from 1st quarter 2013 to 4th quarter 2015
- Pandora's advertising revenue per 100 listener hours from 2008 to 2022, by platform+Pandora's advertising revenue per 100 listener hours from 2008 to 2022, by platform
Pandora's advertising revenue per 100 listener hours from 2008 to 2022, by platform (in U.S. dollars)
- Most popular audio apps downloaded by U.S. smartphone users 2015Most popular audio apps downloaded by U.S. smartphone users 2015
Most popular audio apps downloaded by smartphone users in the United States as of February 2015
- Use of Pandora in cars - key figures as of June 2013Use of Pandora in cars - key figures as of June 2013
Key figures on the use of Pandora in cars in the United States as of June 2013
- Time spent with Pandora in the U.S. 2016, by usage length+Time spent with Pandora in the U.S. 2016, by usage length
Time spent listening to Pandora per session in the United States as of January 2016, by usage length (in minutes)
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- Survey on the share of online shoppers in Germany 2000-2016Survey on the share of online shoppers in Germany 2000-2016
- E-commerce turnover in Sweden 2012-2016E-commerce turnover in Sweden 2012-2016
- E-commerce turnover growth in Sweden 2013-2016E-commerce turnover growth in Sweden 2013-2016