Pandora - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Pandora Media, Inc.
Pandora is America’s leading online radio company and had over two million active sessions in 2017. It dominated the field over its nearest rival, Spotify. It was also estimated that Pandora's paying subscriber base will increase from 3.9 million in 2015 to over 6 million by 2021.
Advertising has, since Pandora’s launch, always generated more revenue than subscription and other services. From January to December 2016, Pandora made over one billion U.S. dollars from advertising for the first time, compared to 226 million U.S. dollars from subscriptions. Pandora and other streaming music companies often incorporate advertisements into their free streaming services.
However, Pandora’s ability to offer a wide selection of music comes at a cost. Although the company's advertising revenue has increased, so has the company's content acquisition costs, also known as royalty fees. This cost stood at less than 70 million U.S. dollars in 2011, but has since increased over tenfold to 735 million U.S. dollars by the end of 2016. In 2015, Pandora’s share of content acquisition costs was considerable with a 52.4 percent of its overall revenue. The figure is estimated to stay relatively steady until 2022.
This high cost can be seen as a contributing factor to Pandora reporting a net loss of 343 million U.S. dollars for the 2016 fiscal year. It is inherently difficult to make a profit in the streaming music industry. According to Bloomberg Businessweek, it is ‘the existential question of can, or will, anyone make money from streaming?' Pandora, as of the end of 2016, seemed to be suffering from this fate.
Music streaming services offer many appealing features, one of which is the ability to listen to music on the go. As of 2017, 40 percent of consumers in the United States listened to online radio via mobile phone while in a car, a significant increase from the 17 percent in 2012. Pandora listeners worldwide also appreciate the mobile aspect of the service. An estimated 17 million users spent time listening to Pandora on mobile devices in 2016, a figure which is expected to increase to 20 million by 2020.
|Pandora's revenue||1.38bn USD||Details →|
|Pandora's subscription revenue||225.79m USD||Details →|
|Pandora's net loss||342.98m USD||Details →|
|Pandora's content acquisition costs||734.35m USD||Details →|
|Pandora's advertising revenue||1.07bn USD||Details →|
|Pandora's sales and marketing spending||491.46m USD||Details →|
|Leading radio advertiser||Comcast||Details →|
- Pandora's annual revenue 2006-2016Pandora's annual revenue 2006-2016
Pandora's revenue from 2006 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Royalty fees paid by Pandora 2006-2016+Royalty fees paid by Pandora 2006-2016
Pandora's content acquisition costs (royalty fees) from 2006 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Number of Pandora's active users 2009-2016Number of Pandora's active users 2009-2016
Number of Pandora's active users from 2009 to 2016 (in millions)
- Pandora's monthly share of U.S. radio listening time 2013-2015+Pandora's monthly share of U.S. radio listening time 2013-2015
Pandora's share of U.S. radio listening time from 1st quarter 2013 to 4th quarter 2015
- Pandora's advertising revenue per 100 listener hours from 2008 to 2022, by platform+Pandora's advertising revenue per 100 listener hours from 2008 to 2022, by platform
Pandora's advertising revenue per 100 listener hours from 2008 to 2022, by platform (in U.S. dollars)
- Most popular audio apps downloaded by U.S. smartphone users 2015Most popular audio apps downloaded by U.S. smartphone users 2015
Most popular audio apps downloaded by smartphone users in the United States as of February 2015
- Time spent with Pandora in the U.S. 2016, by usage length+Time spent with Pandora in the U.S. 2016, by usage length
Time spent listening to Pandora per session in the United States as of January 2016, by usage length (in minutes)
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- Survey on the share of online shoppers in Germany 2000-2016Survey on the share of online shoppers in Germany 2000-2016
- E-commerce turnover in Sweden 2012-2016E-commerce turnover in Sweden 2012-2016
- E-commerce turnover growth in Sweden 2013-2016E-commerce turnover growth in Sweden 2013-2016