U.S. Automotive Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and Facts about the U.S. Automotive Industry
Find the most relevant facts on the U.S. automotive industry, including market data, statistics and market studies.
Despite the growing number of bicycles, motorcycles, coaches, trains, planes and even cruise ships in use, the automobile is still the most popular form of passenger travel. Thanks to the car’s popularity, the automotive industry has made a strong comeback from the 2008 financial crisis. In 2015, there were just under 114 million automobiles traveling on U.S. streets - a figure that translates into an average rate of around 800 passenger vehicles per 1,000 inhabitants. In 2015, some 14.5 million automobiles were registered in California, the country’s most vehicle populous state.
The Detroit Three, General Motors, Chrysler LLC and Ford, are the key U.S.-based automakers, although Chrysler LLC is a fully-owned subsidiary of the Europe-based Fiat Chrysler Automobiles holding. In addition to the aforementioned carmakers, Tesla's market share is on the rise due to the increasing acceptance of hybrid and electric vehicles. In terms of U.S. light vehicle sales, General Motors was the most important vehicle manufacturer as of January 2017, followed by Ford, Fiat-owned Chrysler, Toyota and Nissan. About four million passenger cars were produced in the United States in 2016. Globally, Toyota, General Motors and VW are ranked as the largest passenger car manufacturers.
Photo: istockphoto.com / henrik5000; sxc.hu / brokenarts
|Automobile manufacturer market share of General Motors||17.3%||Details →|
|Ford's revenue in the U.S.||93.43bn USD||Details →|
|Toyota's revenue in North America||11 tr JPY||Details →|
|Most popular luxury car brand in the U.S.||Mercedes-Benz||Details →|
- U.S. auto sales 1990-2016U.S. auto sales 1990-2016
U.S. auto sales from 1990 to 2016 (in millions)
- U.S. passenger car production 1994-2016+U.S. passenger car production 1994-2016
U.S. domestic auto production from 1994 to 2016 (in 1,000 vehicles)
- Ford - revenue by segment 2016+Ford - revenue by segment 2016
Ford's revenue in FY 2016, by segment (in million U.S. dollars)
- YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017
- Passenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by modelPassenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by model
- Commercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by modelCommercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by model
- Change of diesel price in selected countries 2016-2017Change of diesel price in selected countries 2016-2017
- Diesel price per liter in selected countries - March 2017Diesel price per liter in selected countries - March 2017