Statistics & Facts on the Single-serve Coffee Market | Statista
Statistics and facts on the single-serve coffee market
The classic American coffee break has gotten a makeover. Recent figures show that single-serving coffee brewing machines such as Keurig were the second most popular brewing system after standard drip coffee makers, with 25 percent of American coffee drinkers using them in 2015. The growing popularity of single-serving coffee brewing is a curious phenomenon considering the cost of such a habit. Price comparison shows a unit of K-cups, the small capsules containing a single serving of coffee grounds in small filter, command nearly 20 U.S. dollars more than a unit of traditional roast-and-ground coffee. But for many consumers, the efficiency, quality, and array of choices offered by this machine supplies a convenient alternative to the local coffee shop.
According to the National Coffee Association, some 76 percent of U.S. consumers were aware of single-cup brewing systems and 27 percent owned one of these machines in 2015. In the retail aisle, single-cup coffee continued to play an increasingly large role within the coffee category, making up over 32 percent of sales as of January 2014. It showed the highest sales growth within the category in that year and was also rated as one of the fastest-growing private-label food and beverage categories – in terms of both dollar and unit sales. Single-cup coffee generated retail sales of about 3.16 billion U.S. dollars in 2015, and increased to 3.71 billion U.S. dollars for the 52 weeks ending January 24, 2016. Of these sales, the company Keurig Green Mountain, which was recently taken over by the JAB Holding Company, held the largest piece of cake. The company dwarfed all other competitors in the United States in 2016, making more than double in sales than its closest competitor Starbucks Coffee Co..
Picture: photodune.net / BartKowski
|Single-Cup Brewing Systems||Values||Statistic|
|U.S. coffee drinkers who use a single-cup brewer||28%||Details →|
|U.S. ownership of single-cup brewing systems||29%||Details →|
|U.S. retail sales share of single-cup coffee||36.5%||Details →|
|Sales of Keurig Green Mountain||$1,324.3m||Details →|
|Starbucks market share of single-cup coffee in the U.S.||14.8%||Details →|
|Keurig Green Mountain's single-cup brewers and accessories sales||$632.6m||Details →|
|U.S. retail coffee sales of J.M. Smucker Company||$2,239.2m||Details →|
- U.S. coffee market: leading vendors of single-cup coffee 2016+U.S. coffee market: leading vendors of single-cup coffee 2016
Leading vendors of single-cup coffee in the United States in 2016, based on sales (in million U.S. dollars)
- Key single-cup coffee brands of the U.S. based on sales 2016+Key single-cup coffee brands of the U.S. based on sales 2016
Sales of the leading single-cup coffee brands of the United States in 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. consumers' rating of factors where to buy coffee 2017+U.S. consumers' rating of factors where to buy coffee 2017
Based on which criteria do you usually select your coffee?
- U.S. ownership of single-cup brewing systems 2005-2016+U.S. ownership of single-cup brewing systems 2005-2016
Share of U.S. consumers who own a single-cup coffee brewing system from 2005 to 2016*
- Method of preparation among past-day coffee drinkers in the U.S. 2016+Method of preparation among past-day coffee drinkers in the U.S. 2016
Method of preparation among past-day coffee drinkers in the United States in 2016
- Unit price comparison of overall K-Cups to R&G coffee 2014+Unit price comparison of overall K-Cups to R&G coffee 2014
Average price of K-Cups compared to roast-and-ground (R&G) coffee in 2014 (in U.S. dollars per equivalent unit)
- U.S. single-cup coffee retail sales 2015-2016+U.S. single-cup coffee retail sales 2015-2016
Single-cup coffee retail sales in the United States in 2015 and 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Ownership of different coffee makers among U.S. consumers 2017+Ownership of different coffee makers among U.S. consumers 2017
What kind of coffee maker do you have?
- Share of coffee makers used regularly among U.S. consumers 2017+Share of coffee makers used regularly among U.S. consumers 2017
Which coffee maker do you use most regularly?
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Leading general merchandise categories in the U.S. 2016, based on salesLeading general merchandise categories in the U.S. 2016, based on sales
- World coffee per capita consumption: major consumer countries 2015World coffee per capita consumption: major consumer countries 2015
- Brand value growth compared to the previous year worldwide 2010-2016, by sectorBrand value growth compared to the previous year worldwide 2010-2016, by sector
- Leading coffeehouse chains worldwide 2015, by revenueLeading coffeehouse chains worldwide 2015, by revenue