U.S. Coffee Market/Industry - Statistics & Facts | Statista
Statistics and facts on the coffee market in the U.S.
Coffee is one of the most widely consumed beverages worldwide and in the United States. The plant naturally contains caffeine, which can vary sharply. The market is segmented into growers, roasters and retailers. On the coffee-growing level, South America was ranked as the major coffee-producing region. Thereof, Brazil produced about 43.2 million 60 kg bags of coffee. Other major coffee producers were Vietnam and Columbia.
On the U.S. retail level, ground coffee took the largest sales share with 45.8 percent of retail sales in 2016, followed by single-cup coffee. Primary ground coffee brands for the at-home coffee segment included Folgers and Maxwell House, based on sales. Folgers is owned by The J.M. Smucker Co. and accounted for 1.42 billion U.S. dollars in 2016.
Over the past several years, coffee chains have become more and more popular among customers who enjoy their coffee to go. This out-of-home retail market was dominated by the companies Starbucks and Dunkin Brands Inc. with a combined market share of over 65 percent in 2014.
Recent statistics show that American consumers drank on average 1.64 cups of coffee per day. The majority of the coffee was consumed at home, followed by the work place. When asked why they drink their beloved coffee, consumers stated that they often drink the "black gold" when they need to wake up.
Photo: sxc.hu / nkzs
- U.S. coffee market: leading vendors of regular ground coffee 2016+U.S. coffee market: leading vendors of regular ground coffee 2016
Leading vendors of regular ground coffee in the United States in 2016, based on sales (in million U.S. dollars)
- Coffee consumption in the U.S. by location 2016+Coffee consumption in the U.S. by location 2016
Share of coffee consumption in the United States in 2016, by location*
- Coffee market: worldwide production 2003/04-2016/17+Coffee market: worldwide production 2003/04-2016/17
Coffee production worldwide from 2003/04 to 2016/17 (in million 60 kilogram bags)*
- Largest coffee producing countries 2016 +Largest coffee producing countries 2016
World's largest coffee producing countries in 2016 (in 1,000 60 kilogram bags)
- Total U.S. coffee per capita consumption 2011-2016+Total U.S. coffee per capita consumption 2011-2016
Total coffee per capita consumption in the United States from 2011 to 2016 (in cups per day)
- U.S. single-cup coffee retail sales 2015-2016+U.S. single-cup coffee retail sales 2015-2016
Single-cup coffee retail sales in the United States in 2015 and 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- U.S. coffee expenditure 2014-2016+U.S. coffee expenditure 2014-2016
Coffee expenditure in the United States from 2014 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Single-cup coffee: market share of leading vendors in the U.S. 2016+Single-cup coffee: market share of leading vendors in the U.S. 2016
Market share of the leading single-cup coffee vendors in the United States in 2016
- U.S. coffee retail sales 2016, by category+U.S. coffee retail sales 2016, by category
Coffee retail sales in the United States in 2016, by category (in million U.S. dollars)
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- World coffee per capita consumption: major consumer countries 2015World coffee per capita consumption: major consumer countries 2015
- Brand value growth compared to the previous year worldwide 2010-2016, by sectorBrand value growth compared to the previous year worldwide 2010-2016, by sector
- Leading coffeehouse chains worldwide 2015, by revenueLeading coffeehouse chains worldwide 2015, by revenue
- Coffee house chains ranked by number of stores worldwide 2015Coffee house chains ranked by number of stores worldwide 2015