WhatsApp Closing In On A Billion Users
WhatsApp, the messaging app Facebook acquired for $19 billion in February 2014, has recently passed the 700 million user mark, the company’s co-founder and CEO Jan Koum announced in a Facebook post yesterday. According to Koum, more than 30 billion (!) messages are sent via WhatsApp every day, alongside hundreds of millions of photos and videos that are shared within the app.
Since WhatsApp last shared its user number in August 2014, the service added another 100 million to its impressively large user base. WhatsApp even managed to grow quicker than its parent company Facebook once did. Between March 2009 and April 2011, it took Facebook 25 months to grow its active user base from 200 to 700 million – WhatsApp managed to do so in just 21 months, as our chart illustrates.
Considering the unrelenting pace of its user growth, it seems like a matter of time until WhatsApp replicates one of its parent company’s biggest achievements: reaching a billion monthly active users.
- China: leading instant messaging services 2015, by reachChina: leading instant messaging services 2015, by reach
- China: number of instant messaging users 2012- 2015China: number of instant messaging users 2012- 2015
- Internet users who accessed instant messaging on smartphone (USA), 2015Internet users who accessed instant messaging on smartphone (USA), 2015
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2016Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2016
- Social media penetration in the Netherlands 2016, by social networkSocial media penetration in the Netherlands 2016, by social network
- Activities of internet users in China 2015Activities of internet users in China 2015
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2015Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens