Social Seniors Flock to Facebook
Bad news for those who dreadfully remember the day when they first received a Facebook friend request from either of their parents: your grandparents may be next!
According to the Pew Research Center’s latest Social Media Update, 56 percent of U.S. online adults aged 65 and older are now using Facebook. That’s almost a third of all seniors who value Facebook for the same reason that hundreds of millions of younger users do: it helps them stay connected with friends and family.
The fact that Facebook is now widely used by people from all generations may explain why many teenagers have turned their backs on the site in favor of Instagram, where they can still follow their passion for selfies without parental supervision. According to the report, based on a survey among 2,003 adults, Instagram shows the steepest drop-off in usage with increasing age. While it’s the second most popular service among young adults (18 to 29-year-olds), it’s the least popular among those aged 50 and older.
- Top social media sites in the Nordics 2016Top social media sites in the Nordics 2016
- Italy: top social media on Facebook 2016Italy: top social media on Facebook 2016
- Social media penetration in the Netherlands 2016, by social networkSocial media penetration in the Netherlands 2016, by social network
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016
- Leading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewers
- Daily media use per person in the U.S. 2016Daily media use per person in the U.S. 2016
- Media reach in the U.S. 2016Media reach in the U.S. 2016
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl