Social Seniors Flock to Facebook
Bad news for those who dreadfully remember the day when they first received a Facebook friend request from either of their parents: your grandparents may be next!
According to the Pew Research Center’s latest Social Media Update, 56 percent of U.S. online adults aged 65 and older are now using Facebook. That’s almost a third of all seniors who value Facebook for the same reason that hundreds of millions of younger users do: it helps them stay connected with friends and family.
The fact that Facebook is now widely used by people from all generations may explain why many teenagers have turned their backs on the site in favor of Instagram, where they can still follow their passion for selfies without parental supervision. According to the report, based on a survey among 2,003 adults, Instagram shows the steepest drop-off in usage with increasing age. While it’s the second most popular service among young adults (18 to 29-year-olds), it’s the least popular among those aged 50 and older.
- Social media penetration in the Netherlands 2017, by social networkSocial media penetration in the Netherlands 2017, by social network
- Top social media sites in the Nordics 2016Top social media sites in the Nordics 2016
- Italy: top social media on Facebook 2016Italy: top social media on Facebook 2016
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2017Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2017
- Top 15 most frequently visited websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently visited websites in Sweden 2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl