Young Americans Haven't Abandoned Facebook (Yet)
More than once in the past few years have we heard that young people are losing interest in Facebook. That Snapchat, Instagram and others have long surpassed the social networking behemoth in terms of their appeal to the young tech crowd, and that teenagers are leaving Facebook in droves. However, there is little evidence of the alleged teen exodus.
According to data published by Edison Research and Triton Digital, Facebook is still the most commonly used social networking service among young Americans, with 74% of those aged 12 to 24 logging in at least occasionally. Instagram and Snapchat also enjoy wide popularity, while WhatsApp, even though hugely popular in Europe and parts of Asia, doesn’t hit the right note with America’s youth.
It needs to be noted that the data at hand doesn’t say anything about the frequency of use. However, it does make pretty clear that even if young Americans consider other social platforms more hip, they are not yet ready to abandon Facebook altogether.
- U.S. teens: most frequently accessed social networks 2015U.S. teens: most frequently accessed social networks 2015
- Preferred social networks of U.S. teens 2012-2016Preferred social networks of U.S. teens 2012-2016
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016
- U.S. youth unemployment rate: November 2016, seasonally adjustedU.S. youth unemployment rate: November 2016, seasonally adjusted
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Leading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewers
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2016Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2016
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl