Heroin Deaths In The U.S. Are Skyrocketing
Deaths from heroin overdoses are skyrocketing in the United States, according to a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Between 2010 and 2013, they nearly tripled. Over 8,200 Americans died from heroin overdoses in 2013, averaging 23 every day.
One possible explanation for the increase in overdoses is the abuse of prescription painkillers. 75 percent of people who started using heroin after 2000 previously abused prescription opioids like oxycodone and fentanyl. Many switched to heroin because it was cheaper, easier to obtain and chemically similar to those opioids.
The death rate for males was nearly four times higher than for females in 2013. Indeed, Britain is experiencing a similar trend in terms of drug poisoning, especially in terms of gender. Men are far more likely to generally take risks than women and are more prone to ignoring the dangers of drug abuse.
- Number of heroin overdose deaths U.S. 1999-2015Number of heroin overdose deaths U.S. 1999-2015
- Heroin & methadone related deaths in England and Wales 2015, by genderHeroin & methadone related deaths in England and Wales 2015, by gender
- Death from drug poisoning by heroin and morphine in England and Wales 1993-2015Death from drug poisoning by heroin and morphine in England and Wales 1993-2015
- Deaths from drug overdose in the U.S. 2014 and 2015, by drug typeDeaths from drug overdose in the U.S. 2014 and 2015, by drug type
- Drug overdose death rate U.S. 2015, by state Drug overdose death rate U.S. 2015, by state
- Number of illicit drug users worldwide by drug 2010-2014Number of illicit drug users worldwide by drug 2010-2014
- Addicts and consumers of illegal drugs worldwide 1990-2014Addicts and consumers of illegal drugs worldwide 1990-2014
- Illegal drug users - Global prevalence 1990-2014Illegal drug users - Global prevalence 1990-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl