U.S. Milk Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the milk market in the U.S.
“No matter how black a cow is, the milk is always white”, as the old saying goes. Milk is counted among the most essential staple foods, is an important part of a balanced diet and contains, among other vital nutrients, a high percentage of calcium. In 2015, worldwide milk production amounted to about 816.69 million metric tons. Among the major producers, the United States was ranked second with a milk production amounting to over 94 million metric tons in 2015.
California and Wisconsin represent the most important milk producing states in the U.S. milk market. Combined they accounted for a production volume of about 70 billion pounds of milk in 2015. Wisconsin is also known as “America’s Dairyland”, whereas California advertises with the slogan “Happy cows come from California”.
Nestlé USA, Dean Foods and Saputo Inc. constitute key market players in the competitive retail sector. U.S. milk retail sales amounted to 49.5 billion pounds in 2015. Within the category, reduced fat milk (2%) took the lion's share of retail sales in 2014.
On the consumer side, a recent survey revealed that 71 percent of Americans use milk and dairy as a high quality protein source. Nevertheless, per capita consumption is projected to decline significantly from 97.1 kilograms in 2010 to 86.6 kilograms by 2025. Contrary to the decline, premium-priced milk categories such as organic, plant-based or flavored products should assist in increasing American consumption once again.
Photo: istockphoto.com / gebai
|Milk production worldwide||816.69m t||Details →|
|Total milk production in the U.S.||212bn lb||Details →|
|Milk produced per cow in the U.S.||22,774lb||Details →|
|Milk retail sales in the U.S.||49.14m lb||Details →|
|Retail price of milk (fresh, whole, fortified) in the U.S.||$3.29/gal||Details →|
- Sales of the leading refrigerated skim and low-fat milk brands in the U.S. 2016Sales of the leading refrigerated skim and low-fat milk brands in the U.S. 2016
Leading refrigerated skim and low-fat milk brands in the United States in 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Top U.S. states based on milk production 2014-2016Top U.S. states based on milk production 2014-2016
Top 10 milk producing U.S. states in 2014 and 2016 (in million pounds)
- Projected per capita fluid milk consumption in the U.S. 2010-2025+Projected per capita fluid milk consumption in the U.S. 2010-2025
Projected per capita consumption of fluid milk in the United States from 2010 to 2025 (in kilograms)
- U.S. dairy market: milk products sales 2014, by category+U.S. dairy market: milk products sales 2014, by category
Fluid milk products sales in the United States in 2014, by milk category (in million pounds)
- Name-brand versus store brand: U.S. consumers' purchase preferences of milk 2014+Name-brand versus store brand: U.S. consumers' purchase preferences of milk 2014
Do you typically buy name-brand or store brand milk?*
- World coffee per capita consumption: major consumer countries 2015World coffee per capita consumption: major consumer countries 2015
- Leading private label categories in the U.S. 2015, based on sales Leading private label categories in the U.S. 2015, based on sales
- Purchased and consumed beverages in Germany from 2014 to 2015Purchased and consumed beverages in Germany from 2014 to 2015
- Percentage of U.S. chocolate consumption by type, 2012Percentage of U.S. chocolate consumption by type, 2012
- Global sales of the Nestlé Group 2005-2016Global sales of the Nestlé Group 2005-2016