Top U.S. states based on number of milk cows 2017-2018

Leading 10 U.S. states based on number of milk cows in 2017 and 2018 (in 1,000s)*

Top U.S. states based on number of milk cows 2017-2018 California was the leading U.S. state in terms of the overall number of milk cows, with a total of about 1.8 million milk cows as of 2018. The total number of milk cows on farms in the United States shows that California holds a significant share of the total number of milk cows in the country. Unsurprisingly, California is also the leading milk producing state in the United States.
Dairy industry in the U.S.

According to the USDA, milk from U.S. farms is 90 percent water, with milk fat and skim solids making up the remaining 10 percent. Cow milk is a component of several dietary staples, such as cheese, butter, and yoghurt. Dairy is a very important industry in the United States, with this sector alone creating significant employment throughout the United States. The overall income of dairy farms in the U.S. amounted to about 35.2 billion U.S. dollars. Holtsein is the most popular breed of dairy cow farmed in the United States. Holstein have the highest milk production per cow in comparison to any other breed.

Where is the U.S. positioned in the global dairy market?

Topped only by the EU-28, the United States ranks as the second largest cow milk producer in the world, followed by India, Russia, and China. The United States also features among the top ten global milk exporters. The outlook for the future of the industry is also good, with milk production in the United States projected to steadily increase over the next years.
Show more

Leading 10 U.S. states based on number of milk cows in 2017 and 2018 (in 1,000s)*

Loading statistic...
Expand statistic
20172018
California1,7551,730
Wisconsin1,2801,271
New York621625
Idaho600614
Pennsylvania525505
Texas494542
Minnesota460450
Michigan425422
New Mexico325325
Washington275280
20172018
California1,7551,730
Wisconsin1,2801,271
New York621625
Idaho600614
Pennsylvania525505
Texas494542
Minnesota460450
Michigan425422
New Mexico325325
Washington275280
Download Settings Share
Download started
Please be patient - this may take a moment
California was the leading U.S. state in terms of the overall number of milk cows, with a total of about 1.8 million milk cows as of 2018. The total number of milk cows on farms in the United States shows that California holds a significant share of the total number of milk cows in the country. Unsurprisingly, California is also the leading milk producing state in the United States.
Dairy industry in the U.S.

According to the USDA, milk from U.S. farms is 90 percent water, with milk fat and skim solids making up the remaining 10 percent. Cow milk is a component of several dietary staples, such as cheese, butter, and yoghurt. Dairy is a very important industry in the United States, with this sector alone creating significant employment throughout the United States. The overall income of dairy farms in the U.S. amounted to about 35.2 billion U.S. dollars. Holtsein is the most popular breed of dairy cow farmed in the United States. Holstein have the highest milk production per cow in comparison to any other breed.

Where is the U.S. positioned in the global dairy market?

Topped only by the EU-28, the United States ranks as the second largest cow milk producer in the world, followed by India, Russia, and China. The United States also features among the top ten global milk exporters. The outlook for the future of the industry is also good, with milk production in the United States projected to steadily increase over the next years.
Show more
Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $588 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.

Premium Account
Your perfect start with Statista
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references

$49 / Month *

Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax.
Leading companies trust Statista:
paypalgoogleadobepgsamsungtelekom
Related Studies: Available to Download in PDF or PPTX Format
Milk market in the U.S.
Milk market in the U.S.

All Information
in one Presentation

Milk market in the U.S.

Everything On "Milk market in the U.S." in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.

Statista has been my savior on several occasions. The site is easy to maneuver and the data is in a format that can go right into a report or presentation.
Marlene Greenfield

Marlene Greenfield
Vice President, Hearst Magazines

Statistics on "Milk market in the U.S."
  • Global overview
  • U.S. overview
  • U.S. retail overview
  • Companies and brands
  • Consumer behavior
Discover Statista
Need help with using Statista for your research? Tutorials and first steps
Further Content: Statistics, Studies, and Topic Pages
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.
Do you have any questions about our business solutions?

We provide you with detailed information about our Corporate Account.