U.S. Cheese Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the cheese market in the U.S.
Among the major cheese producing countries, the United States was ranked second with 5.3 million metric tons manufactured in 2015, following only the European Union. Wisconsin was the leading cheese producing state in the U.S. with a cheese quantity that amounted to 2.91 billion pounds in 2014. California and Idaho rounded off the top three states.
In the U.S. retail sector, total cheese volume sales amounted to about 3.52 billion pounds in 2014. Cheese products can be found, amongst other things, in the deli department, the snack section or the specialty cheese category. The total category brought in sales amounting to 17.3 billion U.S. dollars in the United States in 2014. Cheddar was the best-selling cheese variety in the private label-dominated department in 2014. Cheese products and cream cheese rounded off the leading three varieties.
The per capita consumption of cheese amounted to about 33.92 pounds in 2014 and is expected to grow to 37 pounds (16.8 kilograms) by 2025. A recent consumer survey asked U.S. adults if they typically buy name-brand or house brand cheese. The survey revealed that some 48 percent of Americans typically purchase name-brand cheese compared to 44 percent of private label buyers.
Picture: photodune.com / agb
|Production and Trade||Values||Statistic|
|Quantify of cheese produced in the U.S.||11.45bn lb||Details →|
|Quantity of cheddar cheese produced in the U.S.||3,263,258k lb||Details →|
|Quantity of Swiss cheese produced in the U.S.||297,797k lb||Details →|
|Major country of destination for U.S. cheese and curd exports||Mexico||Details →|
|Retail price of American processed cheese in the U.S.||$4.21/lb||Details →|
|Retail price of cheddar cheese (natural) in the U.S.||$4.9/lb||Details →|
- U.S. per capita consumption of American cheese 2000-2014U.S. per capita consumption of American cheese 2000-2014
Per capita consumption of American cheese in the United States from 2000 to 2014 (in pounds)
- Leading vendors of cheese chunks in the United States 2013+Leading vendors of cheese chunks in the United States 2013
Leading vendors of natural cheese chunks in the United States in 2013, based on sales (in million U.S. dollars)
- Cheddar cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2014Cheddar cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2014
Quantity of cheddar cheese produced in the U.S. from 2004 to 2014 (in 1,000 pounds)
- Leading private label categories in the U.S. 2015, based on sales Leading private label categories in the U.S. 2015, based on sales
- Total turnover specialized food stores in the Netherlands 2016, by store typeTotal turnover specialized food stores in the Netherlands 2016, by store type
- Turnover per specialized food store in the Netherlands 2016, by store typeTurnover per specialized food store in the Netherlands 2016, by store type
- Per capita consumption of food products in Germany 1900 and 2015Per capita consumption of food products in Germany 1900 and 2015
- Thanksgiving dinner menu plans among U.S. consumers 2016Thanksgiving dinner menu plans among U.S. consumers 2016