Back-to-school - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on back-to-school
As students brace themselves to say goodbye to their summer freedom and head back to school, their parents brace themselves to say goodbye to their paycheck.
The back-to-school shopping season is the second-largest seasonal shopping period of the year in terms of consumer spending. The shopping season was expected to produce about 68 billion U.S. dollars in spending in 2016. Retailers can thank the growing boys and girls for these sales figures. In 2016, the planned back-to-school expenditure among U.S. consumers amounted to about 673.57 U.S. dollars on average. Studies show that U.S. parents planned the highest expenditures for technology, clothing and accessories in both 2016 and 2015.
About 17 percent of shoppers said that classroom lists and school requirements influenced 26 to 50 percent of their back-to-school purchases in 2016. U.S. consumers planned to use various methods of payments when purchasing back-to-school items: around 49 percent of U.S. consumers planned to use debit or check card payment in 2016. A 2015 survey found out, that mobile payment or digital wallet services are still in their infancy: some 93 percent of U.S. consumers indicated not to use those services. When it comes to snacks consumed during the school day, many U.S. school kids indicated to prefer salty snacks. In 2015, the dollar sales of salty snacks during the back-to-school season in the U.S. amounted to 6.7 billion U.S. dollars.
Picture: istockphoto.com / pongky.n
- Back-to-school shopping in the U.S.: purchases influenced by offers 2015+Back-to-school shopping in the U.S.: purchases influenced by offers 2015
What percentage of the back-to-school purchases you have already made were influenced by coupons, sales, and/or promotions?
- U.S. back-to-school shopping: influence of school requirements on spending 2016+U.S. back-to-school shopping: influence of school requirements on spending 2016
What percentage of your spending on school supplies for back-to-school is influenced by classroom lists/school requirements?
- U.S. expected consumer spending 2016, by seasonal event+U.S. expected consumer spending 2016, by seasonal event
Total expected consumer spending in the United States in 2016, by seasonal event (in billion U.S. dollars)
- U.S. back-to-school: dollar sales of most popular breakfast foods 2015, by category+U.S. back-to-school: dollar sales of most popular breakfast foods 2015, by category
Dollar sales of most popular breakfast foods during the back-to-school season in the United States in 2015, by category (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Total enrollment of leading U.S. medical schools in research 2017Total enrollment of leading U.S. medical schools in research 2017
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17
- Consumer Sentiment Index in the U.S. February 2016-2017Consumer Sentiment Index in the U.S. February 2016-2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Annual household expenditure in Canada 2010-2015Annual household expenditure in Canada 2010-2015