iPad - Statistics & Facts
iPad - statistics and facts
The iPad, a pioneer device in the tablet market, was introduced to the consumer market in 2010. The device was aimed at filling a gap between smartphones and laptop computers, offering another mobile device option for consumers. The iPad is closely related to Apple’s iPhone and iPod Touch, as it uses the same operating system and multi-touch user interface. Since its introduction in 2010, Apple has released six versions of the iPad, and has sold more than 300 million units worldwide. In 2015 alone, Apple sold nearly 50 million iPads, generating 21.33 billion U.S. dollars in revenues. Sales of the iPad, in that particular year, accounted for about nine percent of Apple’s total global revenue.
After the introduction of the iPad, competitors rushed into the market with their own tablets, and Apple saw its global market share decrease from about 60 percent in the beginning of 2011 to around 25 percent by the end 2015. Apple continues to be the leading tablet vendor in the world though, with Samsung as its closest competitor. Apple is particularly strong in the North American tablet market, accounting for about 70 percent of the market share in the region. Emerging brands such as Lenovo and Huawei have been gaining market share in the tablet market.
Even though Apple is still the leading tablet vendor, the company no longer has the most popular operating system for tablets. Apple’s iOS market share dropped from about 95 percent in the beginning of 2010 to 24 percent in the beginning of 2015, while Android slowly gained market presence. Google’s Android accounted for 70 percent of all global tablet shipments in the beginning of 2015. The figures for the coming years show a similar trend for the tablet OS market with Apple’s iOS forecast to account for around 25 percent of global tablet shipments, Google’s Android forecast to hold about 60 percent of the share, and Windows’ operating system, 10 to 17 percent of the market share.
Apple offers one million native iPad apps. Native apps only run on iPad’s operating system, therefore, they must be downloaded from the iTunes App Store. Game is the most popular app category amongst iPad users, followed by entertainment and education.
|iPad Global Sales Figures||Values||Statistic|
|Apple’s global revenue from iPad sales in Q2 ‘14||$5,533 m||Details →|
|iPad revenue as a share of Apple’s total global revenue in Q2 ‘14||7.06%||Details →|
|iOS tablet sales forecast for 2016||169,652k units||Details →|
|iPad market share of global tablet shipments||24.7%||Details →|
|Overall tablet usage in North America by Apple brand||77.2%||Details →|
|Global market share held by iOS||22.4%||Details →|
|Apple App Store for iPad||Values||Statistic|
|Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the App Store||140bn||Details →|
|Average price of an iPad app||$0.5||Details →|
|Games are the most popular category of iPad apps||48%||Details →|
- iPad users in the United States 2013-2020+iPad users in the United States 2013-2020
Number of iPad users in the United States from 2013 to 2020 (in millions)
- Global tablet shipments projection 2010-2020+Global tablet shipments projection 2010-2020
Forecast unit shipments of tablets worldwide from 2010 to 2020 (in million units)
- Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2017, by quarter +Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2017, by quarter
Global Apple iPad sales from 3rd fiscal quarter of 2010 to 1st fiscal quarter of 2017 (in million units)*
- Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2015, by quarter+Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2015, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2015, by quarter
- Pfizer's Lipitor revenue worldwide 2003-2016Pfizer's Lipitor revenue worldwide 2003-2016
- Pfizer's Viagra revenue worldwide 2003-2016Pfizer's Viagra revenue worldwide 2003-2016
- U.S. top OTC brands for sleep remedies by sales 2015/2016U.S. top OTC brands for sleep remedies by sales 2015/2016
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- China: number of internet users December 2016China: number of internet users December 2016