Virtual Reality Has Yet to Make a Big Impression
As Google’s developer conference I/O 2017 is about to kick off, rumor has it that the company might show off a new virtual reality headset at the event. The rumored headset reportedly won’t require a PC or a smartphone and is described as featuring “cutting-edge” technology.
So far, virtual reality has not lived up to the hype that surrounded the technology in recent years. Despite several headsets finally hitting the market in 2016, the consumer response to VR devices has been tepid at best.
According to Nielsen’s latest Games 360 report, very few Americans are seriously considering buying a VR headset. The reasons for the lack of interest are summed up by a separate study by Thrive Analytics, which finds that many consumers simply aren’t interested in virtual reality.
- Projected revenue of the augmented and virtual reality markets worldwide 2016-2021Projected revenue of the augmented and virtual reality markets worldwide 2016-2021
- Global virtual reality market size 2016-2020Global virtual reality market size 2016-2020
- Worldwide virtual reality software revenue share 2018, by categoryWorldwide virtual reality software revenue share 2018, by category
- Global virtual reality hardware unit shipments by product type 2014-2020Global virtual reality hardware unit shipments by product type 2014-2020
- Global virtual reality hardware unit shipments by type 2016-2020Global virtual reality hardware unit shipments by type 2016-2020
- Global consumer/commercial virtual reality hardware shipment share 2015-2020Global consumer/commercial virtual reality hardware shipment share 2015-2020
- Global virtual reality headset shipments by brand 2016Global virtual reality headset shipments by brand 2016
- Global augmented and virtual reality headset sales share by region 2014-2019Global augmented and virtual reality headset sales share by region 2014-2019
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl