Virtual Reality Shipment Forecast
Holiday Season Marks First Reality Check for Virtual Reality
As the smoke from the multi-day shopping extravaganza that is Thanksgiving weekend clears, market researchers are having a feast on the intelligence they were able to gather over the past few days. How much did people buy? Where did they look for the best deals? And most importantly: what are the hottest items this holiday season? While we cannot answer all of these questions, SuperData, a research company specializing in games and interactive media, claims to know which product category wasn’t as hot as people had expected and, according to them, might even be the “biggest loser” of the past weekend. It’s virtual reality.
While 2016 was supposed to be the year of VR, we are still waiting for the technology’s big breakthrough. Despite the fact that several major players released virtual reality headsets over the past few months, many people still consider them novelty items rather than products that are ready to hit the mainstream in a major way. Reacting to the lack of excitement surrounding virtual reality on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, SuperData revised their 2016 forecast for VR headset shipments downward significantly. The company’s analysts are particularly underwhelmed by the launch of Sony’s PlayStation VR, which stands in the shadows of the recently released PlayStation 4 Pro both in terms of customer attention and Sony’s marketing efforts.
While the holiday shopping season certainly isn’t over yet, it appears as if it could turn out to be a harsh reality check for those who bet big on virtual reality.
- Projected revenue of the augmented and virtual reality markets worldwide 2016-2021Projected revenue of the augmented and virtual reality markets worldwide 2016-2021
- Global virtual reality market size 2016-2020Global virtual reality market size 2016-2020
- Worldwide virtual reality software revenue share 2018, by categoryWorldwide virtual reality software revenue share 2018, by category
- Global virtual reality hardware unit shipments by product type 2014-2020Global virtual reality hardware unit shipments by product type 2014-2020
- Global virtual reality hardware unit shipments by type 2016-2020Global virtual reality hardware unit shipments by type 2016-2020
- Global consumer/commercial virtual reality hardware shipment share 2015-2020Global consumer/commercial virtual reality hardware shipment share 2015-2020
- Global virtual reality headset shipments by brand 2016Global virtual reality headset shipments by brand 2016
- Global augmented and virtual reality headset sales share by region 2014-2019Global augmented and virtual reality headset sales share by region 2014-2019
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl