McDonald's - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on McDonald's
McDonald’s is arguably the most well-known fast food chain in the world. The company was founded in California, United States, in 1940 when brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald opened their first barbeque restaurant. The restaurant was transformed eight years later by a production line system that rolled out burgers in a quick-service style similar to the one we know today. Since then, the famous golden arches of McDonald’s have become a familiar spectacle in towns and cities all over the globe. In 2016, the chain not only had 14,155 restaurants in the United States, but a further 22,744 in international locations.
McDonald’s is the largest fast food chain worldwide in terms of both revenue and brand value. In 2016, the company had a brand value exceeding 88 billion U.S. dollars – more than double its closest competitor, Starbucks. McDonald’s is so globalized that the Big Mac index, a scale that measures the Purchasing Power Parity between countries using the price of a Big Mac burger, is now a standard global indicator. Regardless of the price, Big Macs purchased all over the world contributed to McDonald’s 24.62 billion U.S. dollar revenue in 2016.
As with the global fast food arena, McDonald’s is a big player in the United States fast food industry – an industry which was forecasted to generate 223.9 billion U.S. dollars in 2020. In 2015, McDonald’s accounted for almost one fifth of the market. According to a national survey by market research company Nielsen Scarborough, more than 106.5 million Americans had visited a McDonald’s restaurant in the past month as of spring 2016.
|McDonald’s worldwide revenue||24.62bn USD||Details →|
|McDonald’s worldwide revenue from company-operated restaurants||15.3bn USD||Details →|
|McDonald’s operating income||7.75bn USD||Details →|
|McDonald's net income||4.69bn USD||Details →|
|Brand value of McDonald’s||88,654m USD||Details →|
|Number of McDonald’s restaurants worldwide||36,899||Details →|
|The fast food industry in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Revenue of the U.S. fast food restaurant industry by 2020||223.9bn USD||Details →|
|Leading QSR chains in terms of average sales per unit - Chick-fil-A||3.98m USD||Details →|
|Number of establishments in the U.S. fast food industry by 2018||247.2k||Details →|
- American customer satisfaction index: McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. 2000-2016American customer satisfaction index: McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. 2000-2016
American customer satisfaction index scores of McDonald's restaurants in the United States from 2000 to 2016*
- Revenue of McDonald's 2013-2016, by region+Revenue of McDonald's 2013-2016, by region
Revenue of McDonald's Corporation worldwide from 2013 to 2016, by region (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- People who visited McDonald's in the U.S. 2016+People who visited McDonald's in the U.S. 2016
Number of people who visited McDonald's within the last 30 days in the United States from autumn 2009 to spring 2016 (in millions)
- McDonald's: ad spend 2014-2016+McDonald's: ad spend 2014-2016
McDonald's Corporation's advertising costs from 2014 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Restaurant chains U.S. consumers have visited in the last year 2016+Restaurant chains U.S. consumers have visited in the last year 2016
Which of these restaurant chains have you visited during the last year?
- Number of restaurants in the U.S. 2011-2016Number of restaurants in the U.S. 2011-2016
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017
- Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017
- Ranking of the most popular fast food restaurants in Germany 2013-2016Ranking of the most popular fast food restaurants in Germany 2013-2016
- Global market size of the restaurant industry 2016, by countryGlobal market size of the restaurant industry 2016, by country