U.S. E-mail Marketing - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about E-mail Marketing in the U.S.
There are 2.5 billion e-mail users in the world as of 2015. About 233 million of them are located in the U.S. It was estimated that the number of e-mail users in the U.S. will reach nearly 254.7 million by the end of 2020. E-mail is likely to remain one of the main marketing mediums in the country. About half of the marketers in the U.S. intent to increase their spending on e-mail marketing, and about 47 percent are expected to maintain their budgets. In line with this projection, e-mail marketing spending in the U.S. is expected to increase from 2.67 billion U.S. dollars in 2016 to just over three billion U.S. dollars in 2019.
E-mail still is the leading marketing method in the U.S. About 61 percent of respondents said they were marketing to leads and customers in the form of blasts using e-mail software, while 48 percent reported using individual e-mails. E-mail is in fact the preferred marketing and communication channel by American consumers. In order to encourage their customers to subscribe to their content, many online retailers offer the latest news and content from their brands or offer regular promotions. According to nearly 60 percent of online retailers, personalization and segmentations are two of the most successful e-mail tactics to drive conversion. Personification has indeed proved to be important for the success of the email marketing campaign, taking into account that the open rate for e-mails with a personalized message was 18.8 percent, as opposed to 13.1 percent without any personalization. About 80 percent of marketing professionals said they used personalized messaging in marketing e-mails.
The success of an e-mail campaign is often measured by the number of opens and clicks. In terms of industries, e-mail messages related to the pet and animal services industry had the highest average e-mail marketing open rate in the U.S. – 22.1 percent as of 2016. E-marketing is also not restricted to one device or platform. As the number of mobile internet users in the U.S. increases, more e-mails are being read on mobile devices. E-mail is reported as the third most popular smartphone activity, and 86 percent of Americans said that they use their mobile devices to check their personal e-mail. Marketers have been looking into the best way to integrate mobile with e-mail on their e-mail marketing approach. About 62 percent of them plan to integrate mobile push notifications, and 54 percent plan to use mobile SMS.
|E-mail marketing expenditure in the U.S.||$2.07bn||Details →|
|Projected number of e-mail users worldwide by 2019||2.9bn||Details →|
|Projected number of e-mail users in the U.S. by 2019||251.8m||Details →|
|E-mail advertising spending in the U.S.||$0.29bn||Details →|
|Consumers trust «in e-mails I signed up for»||64%||Details →|
|«I get too many e-mails in general» is top reason for consumers to unsubscribe||26%||Details →|
- E-mail marketing spending in the U.S. 2014-2019+E-mail marketing spending in the U.S. 2014-2019
E-mail marketing spending in the United States from 2014 to 2019 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Leading objectives for improving U.S. e-mail marketing ROI 2015+Leading objectives for improving U.S. e-mail marketing ROI 2015
What are your top five priorities for improving the ROI of your e-mail marketing programs in 2015?
- Customer marketing methods in the U.S. 2015+Customer marketing methods in the U.S. 2015
Leading marketing methods according to marketing executives in the United States in 2015
- E-mail marketing method usage time as per maketers worldwide Q2 2014+E-mail marketing method usage time as per maketers worldwide Q2 2014
Length of time selected e-mail marketing methods were used according to marketers worldwide in 2nd quarter 2014
- Popularity of marketing channels in the U.S. 2016Popularity of marketing channels in the U.S. 2016
- Global digital marketing spending 2015-2020Global digital marketing spending 2015-2020
- Digital marketing spending in the U.S. 2014-2019Digital marketing spending in the U.S. 2014-2019
- Most effective digital marketing techniques 2017Most effective digital marketing techniques 2017
- Digital advertising expenditure in Denmark 2007-2017, by platformDigital advertising expenditure in Denmark 2007-2017, by platform