E-commerce in Latin America - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about e-commerce in Latin America
In 2019, 151.1 million people in Latin America are expected to buy goods and services online, a dramatic increase from 121.1 million in 2016. Recent figures show that the Latin America e-commerce market is still rather small, in comparison with the Asia Pacific or North American regions. However, retail e-commerce sales in Latin America are projected to grow from 57.02 billion U.S. dollars in 2016 to 84.75 billion U.S. dollars by 2019. On a regional level, Brazil is the market leader with over 16.58 billion U.S. dollars in e-commerce sales in 2016, followed by Mexico, with annual e-commerce sales of 7.19 billion U.S. dollars , while Argentina generated 5.1 billion U.S. dollars worth of online product sales revenues that year. The average number of annual online transactions per capita in Latin America in 2016 was the lowest worldwide, with only 9.2 annual online transactions.
The most popular online retailer in Latin America in terms of visitors is MercadoLibre.com (MercadoLivre.com in Brazil and Portugal), a C2C e-commerce platform similar to eBay.com, currently present in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, Panama, Portugal, Uruguay and Venezuela. With over 50.5 million unique visitors in June 2016 alone, MercadoLibre.com manages to surpass Amazon, the world’s most successful e-retailer, as well as the Brazilian-based company B2W, which is currently the largest in Latin America.
Latin America is also part of the mobile shopping movement. In March 2016, 27 percent of internet users in Latin America used their mobile device to purchase a product or service via mobile device and 23 percent of internet users used an app to make a purchase. During an August 2016 survey, 43 percent of mobile buyers in Latin America stated that they purchased products via mobile on a monthly basis.
Picture: istockphoto.com / aleksl
- Latin America: number of digital buyers 2013-2019Latin America: number of digital buyers 2013-2019
Number of digital buyers in Latin America from 2013 to 2019 (in millions)
- Most-visited online retailers in Latin America 2016Most-visited online retailers in Latin America 2016
Most popular online retailers in Latin America as of January 2016, based on number of unique visitors (in millions)
- Mexico: m-commerce frequency 2016Mexico: m-commerce frequency 2016
Mobile shopping frequency in Mexico and Latin America as of August 2016
- Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites 2017Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites 2017
- Number of oil and gas rigs by world region February 2016Number of oil and gas rigs by world region February 2016
- Ranking of the largest web shops in Sweden in 2017, by revenueRanking of the largest web shops in Sweden in 2017, by revenue
- Sanofi revenue by region 2016Sanofi revenue by region 2016
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015