E-commerce in Latin America - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about e-commerce in Latin America
In 2018, 139.3 million people in Latin America are expected to buy goods and services online, a dramatic increase from 84.7 million in 2013. Recent figures show that the Latin America e-commerce market is still rather small, in comparison with the Asia Pacific or North American regions, with B2C e-commerce sales in Latin America accounting for only 4.3 percent of the global B2C e-commerce sales in 2014. However, B2C e-commerce sales in Latin America are projected to grow from 71 billion U.S. dollars in 2015 to 87 billion U.S. dollars by 2018. On a national level, Brazil is the market leader, with over 23 billion in e-commerce sales forecast for 2015, followed by Mexico, with e-commerce sales in Mexico expected to reach 13 billion, while Argentina is expected to sell 5.24 billion U.S. dollars worth of online products and services. As of 2013, B2C e-commerce accounts for 0.49 percent of the GDP in Brazil, a figure which is expected to double by 2018.
The most popular online retailer in Latin America in terms of visitors is MercadoLibre .com (MercadoLivre.com in Brazil and Portugal), a C2C e-commerce platform similar to eBay.com, currently present in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, Panama, Portugal, Uruguay and Venezuela. With over 45 million unique visitors in June 2014 alone, MercadoLibre.com manages to surpass Amazon, the world’s most successful e-retailer, as well as the Brazilian-based company B2W, which is currently the largest web-only retail company in Latin America, with 2.8 billion U.S. dollars in e-commerce sales in 2013.
Latin America is also part of the mobile shopping movement. In the fourth quarter of 2014, 38 percent of internet users in Latin America used their mobile device to search for a product or a service online and 27 percent of internet users purchased a product.
Picture: istockphoto.com / aleksl
- Latin America: number of digital buyers 2013-2019Latin America: number of digital buyers 2013-2019
Number of digital buyers in Latin America from 2013 to 2019 (in millions)
- Fastest-growing e-retailers in Latin America 2014+Fastest-growing e-retailers in Latin America 2014
Fastest-growing e-retailers in Latin America in 2014, based on year-on-year e-commerce sales growth
- E-commerce sales of leading retail chains in Latin America 2014E-commerce sales of leading retail chains in Latin America 2014
Leading retail chains in Latin America in 2014, ranked by e-commerce sales (in million U.S. dollars)
- E-commerce sales of web-only merchants in Latin America 2014+E-commerce sales of web-only merchants in Latin America 2014
Leading web only e-retailers in Latin America in 2014, ranked by e-commerce sales (in million U.S. dollars)
- Most-visted online retailers in Latin America 2016Most-visted online retailers in Latin America 2016
Most popular online retailers in Latin America as of January 2016, based on number of unique visitors (in millions)
- Latin America: online browse and purchase intention rates 2014, by product category+Latin America: online browse and purchase intention rates 2014, by product category
Average online browsing and purchase intention rates in Latin America as of 1st quarter 2014, by product category
- Number of oil and gas rigs by world region February 2016Number of oil and gas rigs by world region February 2016
- Sanofi revenue by region 2016Sanofi revenue by region 2016
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015
- U.S. online shops and mail-order house sales 2003-2015U.S. online shops and mail-order house sales 2003-2015
- World pharmaceutical sales 2014-2016 by region World pharmaceutical sales 2014-2016 by region