Social networking in Canada - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about social networking in Canada
Owing to the most basic human desire, communication, social media are gaining more and more on popularity, both among the general population who simply enjoy the facilitated interaction, and business professionals who see it as a successful marketing and recruiting tool. Social media come in many forms, from photo-sharing platforms to social gaming or chat apps, but especially social networks. In fact, as of January 2016, more than 30 percent of the world’s population had an account on at least one of the social networks available. Later that year, Facebook has managed to maintain its leadership position on the social networks market, with over 1.7 billion registered accounts worldwide, followed by the instant messaging services WhatsApp, and Tencent’s QQ.
The region with the highest penetration rate of social networks is North America, where around 60 percent of the population has at least one social account. In Canada, more than 20 million people are expected to have a social network account by 2018. Here, as in the rest of the world, Facebook is the most popular social network, with almost half of the population having an active account on this platform. Other popular social networks among Canadians are the professional platform LinkedIn, which has the highest penetration rate among inhabitants of British Columbia and Alberta, as well as Twitter, which is expected to grow its user base from over 3 million in 2012 to some 8.5 million users a mere six years later. Facebook is also the social network most frequently used, with an average of 9 usage sessions per week, but it ranks second, overtaken by YouTube, when it comes to platforms used daily among Canadian youth.
Despite the fact that global internet users spend an average of around 118 minutes per day surfing social networks, Canadian users are a little more disciplined. As of 2014, members of the so-called generation Z spent the most time surfing social networks, but still less time than a half of the global average. Nevertheless, social networks are considered more and more a powerful marketing tool, which has prompted an increase in marketing spending in order to use that space and screen time to promote products and services. In 2015, over 90 percent of Canadian marketers indicated their brand's presence on Facebook, with a further 78 percent claiming Twitter presence. In 2017, social media ad revenue in Canada is expected to reach over 560 million U.S. dollars, with the largest share of these revenues being generated through mobile ads.
Picture: istockphoto.com / hronos7
- Leading reasons for using social media among independent retailers in Canada 2014Leading reasons for using social media among independent retailers in Canada 2014
Leading reasons for using social media among independent retailers in Canada as of January 2014
- Canada: share of social media minutes 2015, by platformCanada: share of social media minutes 2015, by platform
Distribution of time spent on social media content in Canada as of March 2015, by platform
- Digital Market Outlook: social media ad revenue in Canada 2015-2021, by device+Digital Market Outlook: social media ad revenue in Canada 2015-2021, by device
Social media advertising revenue in Canada from 2015 to 2021, by device (in million U.S. dollars)
- Share of Canadian digital buyers purchasing via sponsored links 2015, by age+Share of Canadian digital buyers purchasing via sponsored links 2015, by age
Percentage of digital buyers who made online purchases via sponsored links in Canada as of June 2015, by age group
- Brands' social media presence according to marketers in Canada 2015Brands' social media presence according to marketers in Canada 2015
Share of marketers indicating their brands presence on selected social media in Canada in 2015
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016