The Biggest Trends in Digital Media in 2015
As the year draws to a close, it’s time to recap on what has been a busy year in the digital media landscape. Parsely, a company that specializes on audience analytics, conducted a year-end poll among hundreds of digital publishers worldwide to identify the most notable trends of the past 12 months.
According to the survey results, summed up in our chart, the fact that mobile traffic now exceeds desktop traffic for many publishers has been the most noteworthy development in 2015. The pace at which mobile content caught up with and finally surpassed desktop content is truly astonishing. Less than 10 years ago, the smartphone was a niche gadget and now it is arguably the most important device for content consumption.
Other notable trends and topics in 2015 include the increase in social content distribution, ad-blocking and a more strategic use of analytics.
- Digital Market Outlook: digital media revenue in European countries 2015Digital Market Outlook: digital media revenue in European countries 2015
- Time spent with digital media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with digital media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Monthly minutes spent digital media channels in the U.S. 2016Monthly minutes spent digital media channels in the U.S. 2016
- Online purchasing penetration in Great Britain 2008-2016Online purchasing penetration in Great Britain 2008-2016
- Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015
- Value of the U.S. entertainment and media market 2011-2020Value of the U.S. entertainment and media market 2011-2020
- Global digital music revenue 2005-2015Global digital music revenue 2005-2015
- Digital share of global media revenue 2015, by mediumDigital share of global media revenue 2015, by medium
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl