U.S. Digital Publishing Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the digital publishing industry in the U.S.
As more and more people go online, the digital publishing industry has grown to keep up with the latest technology. As a result, digital media revenue hit almost 30 billion U.S. dollars in the United States in 2015, more than double that in China and almost six times the amount in the United Kingdom. Gaming occupies the biggest space within the U.S. digital media market and revenue within this sector amounted to almost 11 billion U.S. dollars in 2015, expecting to rising further to 13.5 billion U.S. dollars by 2021. The video on demand sector generated revenue of just over 9 billion U.S. dollars in 2015 and is also expected to steadily increase to almost 11.5 billion U.S. dollars by 2021.
Whereas before people were reading paper books and magazine, they are now turning to e-books and e-magazines. Indeed, the average revenue per user from e-books hit 57 U.S. dollars in 2015 and is expected to grow to over 60 U.S. dollars by 2021. Similarly, the average revenue per user from e-magazines is expected to grow from 28.76 U.S. dollars to 30.91 U.S. dollars in the same timeframe.
However, the e-book market is expected to stay relatively steady in the coming years with only a small increase in revenue projected. In contrast, the revenue generated from the e-Paper industry is forecast to more than double between 2015 and 2021 from just over 1 billion U.S. dollars to 2.1 billion U.S. dollars. As a result, forecasts predict that the digital publishing industry as a whole will generate revenue of almost 8.7 billion U.S. dollars in the United States in 2021.
Photo: istockphoto.com / pictafolio
|Digital media revenue||29.95bn USD||Details →|
|VoD media revenue||9.04bn USD||Details →|
|Gaming media revenue||10.96bn USD||Details →|
|Digital publishing revenue||7.19bn USD||Details →|
|Forecast for digital publishing revenue in 2020||8.46bn USD||Details →|
|E-book publishing revenue||5.28bn USD||Details →|
|E-magazine publishing revenue||530.6m USD||Details →|
|Digital publishing average revenue per user||67.86 USD||Details →|
|E-book average revenue per user||57 USD||Details →|
|E-paper average revenue per user||67.99 USD||Details →|
- Penetration of digital-first publishing in the United States in 2012+Penetration of digital-first publishing in the United States in 2012
Do you employ a digital-first publishing production process (in place of a print-based production workflow) for any of your publications?
- Profitability of digital publishing in the U.S. in 2012 and 2014, by platformProfitability of digital publishing in the U.S. in 2012 and 2014, by platform
Profitability of digital publishing in the United States in 2012 and 2014, by platform
- Global e-book revenue from 2009 to 2016, by regionGlobal e-book revenue from 2009 to 2016, by region
Global e-book revenue from 2009 to 2016*, by region (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. newspaper publishing revenue 2010-2015, by media type U.S. newspaper publishing revenue 2010-2015, by media type
- Book market revenue in Germany 2011-2020Book market revenue in Germany 2011-2020
- Revenue of printed and digital newspapers in Norway 2011-2015Revenue of printed and digital newspapers in Norway 2011-2015
- Book consumption in the U.S. 2011-2016, by formatBook consumption in the U.S. 2011-2016, by format
- Global newspaper audience 2015, by platformGlobal newspaper audience 2015, by platform