Tumblr - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Tumblr
Tumblr is a New York-based internet platform, part microblog, part social network, which was created by web developers David Karp and Marco Arment and launched in 2007. Due to the company’s almost immediate success and popularity, it was acquired by technology giant Yahoo! Inc. in June 2013 for the sum of 1.1 billion U.S. dollars. As of 2009, the website is also available as a smartphone application, and gained a reported 75,000 users within two weeks of its launch. As of April 2015, the platform had surpassed 227 million registered accounts, more than double the number of accounts a year prior, making Tumblr a social phenomenon around the world. Also in April 2015, the website had almost 37 million unique visitors from the United States alone and more than 106 billion user-generated posts were created, a twenty fold increase from four years prior.
Tumblr’s blog-like function allows account-holders to use the platform in order to create diaries of their daily lives, to post different types of information that inspires them, as well as to liveblog about events as they happen or about TV shows as they are aired. The platform supports seven different types of posts, such as text posts, whether plain or accompanied by images, hyperlinks or videos, but also photo posts, quote posts, link post, chat posts, audio posts and video posts, whether uploaded from a device or imported from websites such as Vimeo or YouTube. The social media function allows users to “like” and/or reblog a post. Another function permits communication between different accounts, although users can also chose to keep their content private. The website uses the followers-based system made famous by Twitter, where interested users can follow other users' blogs, whether they are friends, strangers or even celebrities. One of the most well-known Tumblr accounts is that of the White House, which shares both formal and informal posts, such as GIFs of President Barak Obama singing or the First Lady’s workout plan.
Due to its fast-pace communication style, multiple mediums and heavy use of sometimes specific imagery, pop-culture references and slang, Tumbler is unsurprisingly most popular among young Millennials, with 5.3 million of the total number of 19 million U.S. American users of the platform being between 25 and 34 years old and only around 1.5 million being over 55. According to a global survey, some 15 percent of active Tumblr users worldwide accessed the social network more than once per day.
Tumblr, which was named one of the most valuable startup companies based in New York, generates revenue with the aid of paid advertisements on the website. As of 2015, Tumblr creator and CEO, David Karp, who was named by MIT as one of the top 35 innovators in the world under the age of 35, has an estimated net worth exceeding 200 million U.S. dollars.
- Tumblr: number of U.S. users 2014-2020+Tumblr: number of U.S. users 2014-2020
Number of Tumblr users in the United States from 2014 to 2020 (in millions)
- Tumblr: distribution of U.S. users 2016, by age+Tumblr: distribution of U.S. users 2016, by age
Distribution of Tumblr users in the United States as of December 2016, by age group
- Distribution of Tumblr traffic 2016, by countryDistribution of Tumblr traffic 2016, by country
Regional distribution of desktop traffic to Tumblr as of September 2016, by country
- Number of hours affluent Americans spent on Tumblr per week in 2016+Number of hours affluent Americans spent on Tumblr per week in 2016
Number of hours members of affluent U.S. households spent on Tumblr in an average week in 2016
- Tumblr: global usage frequency 2015Tumblr: global usage frequency 2015
Tumblr usage frequency of active users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2015
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017