Sports Sponsorship - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Sports Sponsorship
The global sports sponsorship market had an estimated value of almost 40 billion U.S. dollars in 2012. According to PriceWaterhouseCoopers, the market is estimated to reach around 45 billion U.S. dollars by 2015. The revenue of the North American (United States & Canada) sports sponsorship market was at approximately 13.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2012. This accounts for around 69 percent of the total sponsorship market, which also includes sponsorship in entertainment, causes, the arts, festivals, fairs and annual events, as well as sponsorship for associations and membership organizations. The total North American sponsorship market is projected to grow by 5.5 percent in 2013.
The European sports sponsorship market is about equal in value to the North American market with around 14 billion U.S. dollars in revenue (including the Middle East and Africa). The highest-grossing sport of the industry is soccer. The English Premier League for example receives an estimated 50 million euros per season from its naming rights sponsor Barclays. Kit / jersey sponsorship is an essential stream of revenue for most soccer clubs in Europe. The clubs at the top-tier leagues in England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands grossed more than 500 million euros from kit sponsorships in the 2012/13 season. The top Spanish club, FC Barcelona for example receives around 30 million euros per season from Qatar Foundation, its jersey sponsor.
Sporting mega events such as the Super Bowl, the Olympics, the FIFA World Cup and the UEFA EURO make up a substantial part of total sponsorship revenue. The Olympic Games (Summer & Winter) for example, which were held in the period from 2009 to 2012, generated almost 1 billion U.S. dollars in sponsorship revenue from its TOP sponsorship program alone. The revenue from sponsorship, licensing and merchandising from the 2012 EURO in Poland and Ukraine amounted to almost 300 million euros.
Photo: istockphoto.com / PicsFive, tforgo
|Global sponsorship spending||$60.2bn||Details →|
|Sponsorship spending in North America||$60.2bn||Details →|
|Worldwide revenue from sports sponsorship||$40.24bn||Details →|
|North American Market Overview||Values||Statistic|
|North American revenue from sports sponsorship||$16.3bn||Details →|
|Projected revenue from sports sponsorship in North America in 2017||$16.93bn||Details →|
|Tostitos Fiesta Bowl sponsorship||$17.5m||Details →|
- Sponsorship spending in North America 2007-2017+Sponsorship spending in North America 2007-2017
Sponsorship spending in North America from 2007 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Sponsorship spending worldwide 2007-2017+Sponsorship spending worldwide 2007-2017
Global sponsorship spending from 2007 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Value of bowl game sponsorships in college football 2012/13Value of bowl game sponsorships in college football 2012/13
College football bowl game sponsorships in 2012/13 (in million U.S. dollars)
- The adidas Group's global footwear production from 2008-2016The adidas Group's global footwear production from 2008-2016
- The adidas Group's net sales worldwide 2000-2016The adidas Group's net sales worldwide 2000-2016
- North American sports market size 2009-2020North American sports market size 2009-2020
- Nike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by regionNike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by region
- Nike's net income worldwide 2005-2016Nike's net income worldwide 2005-2016