Competition Leaves Twitter in the Dust
When Twitter reported its results for the second quarter of 2016 on Tuesday, the company once again disappointed its investors with lackluster user growth. Instead of reaccelerating its user growth, Twitter basically flatlined. Now at 313 million monthly active users, Twitter added just 3 million users in the past three months and no more than 11 million since the first quarter of 2015.
As our chart illustrates, Twitter's competitors have overtaken the company left and right in the past years. Instagram recently passed the 500 million user mark while WhatsApp, WeChat and of course Facebook are long out of Twitter's sight.
- Italy: leading social media profiles on Twitter 2016Italy: leading social media profiles on Twitter 2016
- Social media channel usage in commercial enterprises in Germany 2015Social media channel usage in commercial enterprises in Germany 2015
- Top social media sites in the Nordics 2016Top social media sites in the Nordics 2016
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl