Twitter Struggles to Reignite Its Growth Engine
When Twitter reported its first quarter earnings this week, those who had hoped that the company finally found a way to reignite its user growth were disappointed once more. Instead of reversing the trend and reaccelerating user growth, the company's user growth basically flatlined. Twitter now has 310 million monthly active users, an increase of just 3 percent or 8 million users since last year's March quarter.
Let's compare that number to Facebook user growth: now boasting 1.65 billion active users, the world's largest social network still grew by 15 percent over the past 12 months. During those 12 months, Facebook added 213 million users - more than two thirds of Twitter's entire user base.
- Twitter users in Sweden 2016, by age groupTwitter users in Sweden 2016, by age group
- Twitter users in Norway 2016, by age groupTwitter users in Norway 2016, by age group
- Share of Twitter users in Finland 2015, by age group and genderShare of Twitter users in Finland 2015, by age group and gender
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl