Twitter Fails to Reignite User Growth
For the fourth time since its IPO in November 2013, Twitter reported its quarterly earnings yesterday. Even though results were roughly in line with expectations, shareholders were disappointed and the company’s stock price dropped more than 10% following the release.
Twitter managed to more than double its revenue to $361 million and posted a net loss of $175 million that was mainly caused by stock-based compensation expenses. While these aren’t bad results, once again it was the company’s lackluster user growth that left its shareholders disappointed.
Twitter now has 284 million monthly active users, representing a 23% increase over last year’s September quarter. The fact that user growth continues to decelerate makes one thing increasingly clear: Twitter is no second Facebook and will never be as big. When Facebook had roughly as many users as Twitter now has, it was still growing at a rate above 200%. Put another way: once Facebook’s growth rate dropped below 25% its user base had long surpassed one billion people.
- Twitter users in Sweden 2016, by age groupTwitter users in Sweden 2016, by age group
- Twitter users in Norway 2016, by age groupTwitter users in Norway 2016, by age group
- Share of Twitter users in Finland 2015, by age group and genderShare of Twitter users in Finland 2015, by age group and gender
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Social networks by number of visits in Germany 2016Social networks by number of visits in Germany 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl