Twitter's revenue growth
Twitter Is Close to Flatlining
Twitter can’t catch a break. For the past two years, the company has been criticized for its lackluster user growth and now that it finally shows signs of improvement, revenue growth appears to have hit a wall. In the fourth quarter of 2016, Twitter’s revenue grew by less than 1 percent to $717 million. Making things worse, advertising sales, accounting for nearly 90 percent of the company’s revenue, actually declined. Much to the displeasure of its shareholders, Twitter warned that revenue growth may continue to trail user growth, attributing the weakness in part to “escalating competition for digital ad spending”.
During the earnings call, Twitter’s CFO Anthony Noto acknowledged that President Trump’s intense usage of the microblogging service was beneficial to the company's business as it “shows the power of Twitter”. If more people were as enthusiastic about Twitter as a communications tool as Donald Trump apparently is, the company wouldn’t be having any problems selling advertising.
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide 2016Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide 2016
- Most-followed brands on Twitter 2017Most-followed brands on Twitter 2017
- Twitter and TV attention and the share of seats in the Netherlands 2017, by partyTwitter and TV attention and the share of seats in the Netherlands 2017, by party
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl