Operating Systems - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Operating Systems
An operating system (OS) is the software that manages all other software and hardware on a computer, providing common services for programs and generally allowing a computer to run. Other programs, generally referred to as application programs, need an operating system in order to function. Today, almost every device -- from graphical calculators, to smartphones, to desktop computers -- requires an operating system to function, some of which are created for specific hardware and others that are intended to run on a wide variety of devices.
Among smartphones, Google's Android and Apple's iOS are the leading mobile operating systems in the world. Android's share is estimated at about 60 to 65 percent of the market, while iOS's share varies between 17 to 24 percent. Symbian OS, once a mobile market leader as recently as 2012, has seen its market share drop to less than one percent as of the end of 2015. Mobile OSes are also an important indicator in the smartphone sales market as they reflect sales trends. At one point, Symbian and RIM led the smartphone OS market in terms of sales, representing about 50 percent and 20 percent of smartphones sold at the beginning of 2009, respectively. By the fourth quarter of 2013, Symbian and RIM were installed on less than one percent of mobile phones sold that quarter. Android currently dominates the smartphone market in terms of OS share, being installed on around 81 percent smartphones sold in the fourth quarter of 2015, followed by Apple, with just under 18 percent.
Within the global tablet market, Android and iOS are also leading operating systems there. Apple, a pioneer in the industry, held 95 percent of the market share in the second quarter of 2010. However, with the introduction of a variety of competitive products, Apple iOS's market share dropped dramatically to 24 percent by the beginning of 2015, while Android's share increased steadily. In the first quarter of 2015, almost 70 percent of all tablets shipped worldwide were using Android as their operating system. Despite its decline in market share and increasing competition from companies such as Samsung and Lenovo, Apple still remains the leading tablet vendor.
In regards to desktop PCs, Windows 7 holds the greatest share of the PC operating system market around the world. Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, once intended to succeed Windows 7, have been growing in market share, but have not as yet overtaken their predecessor, and the release of Windows 10 may mean they have missed their chance. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows 7 also remains the leader in the computer operating system market, with around 45 percent of the share. Apple's OSX (officially pronounced "Oh Es Ten"), a version of which runs on most of Apple's personal and enterprise computers, corresponded to nine percent of the market share as of December of 2015. The first version of OSX was released in 1999, with the most recent version, "El Capitan", released in September 2015.
Photo: sxc.hu / kolobsek, Robson01
|Tablet operating systems||Statistic|
|Global market share of Android tablets||66.2%||Details →|
|Global market share of Apple iOS tablets (iPad)||24.4%||Details →|
|Share of affluent Americans using Windows as their mobile device OS||7%||Details →|
- Share of smartphone users in the United States by operating system 2014-2016+Share of smartphone users in the United States by operating system 2014-2016
Smartphone user share by operating system in the United States from 2014 to 2016
- Global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2009-2017, by quarterGlobal market share held by smartphone operating systems 2009-2017, by quarter
Global market share held by the leading smartphone operating systems in sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2017
- Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2017, by quarterGlobal smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2017, by quarter
Global smartphone sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2017, by operating system (in million units)
- U.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by monthU.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by month
- Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2017Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2017
- China: production of cell phones by month March 2017China: production of cell phones by month March 2017
- Market share of the most common operating systems in Germany 2009-2017Market share of the most common operating systems in Germany 2009-2017
- Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017