User-generated content - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about user-generated content in the U.S
User-generated content (UGC) refers to a variety of media such as Wikis, question-answer databases, digital video, blogging, podcasting, forums, review-sites, social networking, social media and mobile phone photography. User-generated content has gained in popularity through social media and content-based sharing sites such as Buzzfeed.
A well known and still frequently used example of factual user-generated content which is collaboratively edited online is Wikipedia, which has more than 1.8 million contributors worldwide. In additional to traditional Wikis, Internet users upload information and post comments at increasing and frequent rates to a variety of different platforms such as social networks Facebook and Twitter or forum communities like Reddit. Currently, photos are the most popular content creating activity within the United States with a 38 percent share, product reviews have a 29 percent share and video uploads to a video-sharing site compose a 23 percent share.
Photos, including selfies and pictures of friends and family, are the most common form of shared social media among teens and young adults in the United States. One of the most popular photo editing and sharing apps is Instagram with 400 million monthly active users as of September 2015. Product reviews are also a leading content creating activity. Local business review website Yelp had 71 million reviews in 2014 and as of mid-2015, book review platform Goodreads had 40 million reviews. Reviews for restaurants and cafés were the most commonly consulted type of online reviews, followed by ratings of doctors, dentists and general shops.
Interestingly, the leading types of video content streamed to computers as of January 2015 included the traditional movies, followed by TV shows and increasingly, short clips generated by users. User-generated short clips also topped the leading type of video content streamed to smartphones. The hours of video uploaded to YouTube increased significantly in 2014 from previous years, reaching 300 hours of video uploaded to the site per minute. Unsurprising perhaps, as a December 2014 survey revealed that 23.8 percent of internet users record digital video via a smartphone a few times a week. Fifty-four percent of consumers who create videos to capture life events do so on birthdays. Also, the majority of consumers would prefer to receive videos as an alternative to holiday greeting cards.
|Percentage of U.S. internet users who use Facebook||79%||Details →|
|Pieces of content shared by Facebook users (per minute)||684,478||Details →|
|Revenue of YouTube through user-generated content||$945m||Details →|
|Number of U.S. smartphone social network users||149.5m||Details →|
|Mobile audience of Twitter in the U.S.||56m||Details →|
|Photo and Video Sharing||Values||Statistic|
|Share of U.S. internet users who create and share photos||52%||Details →|
|Share of U.S. internet users who create and share videos||26%||Details →|
|Cumulative total of Tumblr posts||144.7bn||Details →|
|Number of monthly active Instagram users||600m||Details →|
- Cumulative total of Tumblr posts 2011-2017Cumulative total of Tumblr posts 2011-2017
Cumulative total of Tumblr posts between May 2011 and January 2017 (in billions)
- Participants in the annual Goodreads reading challenge 2011-2017Participants in the annual Goodreads reading challenge 2011-2017
Number of registered members participating in the annual Goodreads reading challenge from 2011 to 2017 (as of January 2017)
- YouTube: most subscribed channels 2017YouTube: most subscribed channels 2017
Most popular YouTube channels as of February 2017, ranked by number of subscribers (in millions)
- Content sharing: leading social networks worldwide 2016Content sharing: leading social networks worldwide 2016
Distribution of global social content sharing activities as of 2nd quarter 2016, by social network
- Annualized YouTube celebrity earnings 2016+Annualized YouTube celebrity earnings 2016
Estimated annual earnings of selected YouTube channel creators as of June 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016