User-generated content - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about user-generated content
User-generated content (UGC) refers to a variety of media such as Wikis, question-answer databases, digital video, blogging, podcasting, forums, review-sites, social networking, social media and mobile phone photography. User-generated content has gained in popularity through social media and content-based sharing sites such as Buzzfeed.
A well known and still frequently used example of factual user-generated content which is collaboratively edited online is Wikipedia, which has more than 2.36 million contributors worldwide. In additional to traditional Wikis, internet users upload information and post comments at increasing and frequent rates to a variety of different platforms such as social networks Facebook and Twitter or forum communities like Reddit. Photo sharing is one of the most popular content creating activity. Photos, including selfies and pictures of friends and family, are a popular form of shared social media among teens and young adults in the United States. One of the most popular photo editing and sharing apps is Instagram with 600 million monthly active users as of December 2016 and Snapchat with 158 million daily active users as of the fourth quarter of 2016. As of February 2017, 69 percent of U.S. adults had taken a selfie and uploaded it to a social media website.
Product reviews are also a leading content creating activity. Local business review website Yelp had 121 million reviews in 2016 and as of mid-2016, book review platform Goodreads had 50 million reviews. Reviews for restaurants and cafés were the most commonly consulted type of online reviews, followed by ratings of doctors, dentists and general shops.
Apart from photos, video has also become a popular platform for internet users to generate and share content. The leading types of video content viewed by YouTube users in 2016 were videos uploaded by other people, with brand videos and movies being less popular. User-generated short clips also topped the leading type of video content streamed to smartphones. The hours of video uploaded to YouTube increased significantly in 2015 from previous years, reaching 400 hours of video uploaded to the site per minute. Unsurprising perhaps, as a survey from the third quarter of 2016 revealed that 59 percent of internet users had uploaded or shared a video online in the last month.
|Cumulative total of Tumblr posts as of April 2017||148.1bn||Details →|
|Number of monthly active Instagram users||700m||Details →|
|Most popular Snapchat activity in 2016||Snaps/stories with friends||Details →|
|Percentage of social media article sharing via Facebook as of June 2016||90.2%||Details →|
- Cumulative total of Tumblr posts 2011-2017Cumulative total of Tumblr posts 2011-2017
Cumulative total of Tumblr posts between May 2011 and April 2017 (in billions)
- Participants in the annual Goodreads reading challenge 2011-2017Participants in the annual Goodreads reading challenge 2011-2017
Number of registered members participating in the annual Goodreads reading challenge from 2011 to 2017 (as of January 2017)
- Global online video upload and sharing 2016, by age group+Global online video upload and sharing 2016, by age group
Share of internet users worldwide who uploaded or shared a video online in the last month as of 3rd quarter 2016, by age group
- YouTube: most subscribed channels 2017YouTube: most subscribed channels 2017
Most popular YouTube channels as of February 2017, ranked by number of subscribers (in millions)
- Content sharing: leading social networks worldwide 2016Content sharing: leading social networks worldwide 2016
Distribution of global social content sharing activities as of 2nd quarter 2016, by social network
- Share of U.S. adults who have taken a selfie 2017, by age groupShare of U.S. adults who have taken a selfie 2017, by age group
Share of adults in the United States who have ever taken a selfie as of February 2017, by age group
- Annualized YouTube celebrity earnings 2016+Annualized YouTube celebrity earnings 2016
Estimated annual earnings of selected YouTube channel creators as of June 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. adults who consider acceptable to take selfies in certain situations 2017U.S. adults who consider acceptable to take selfies in certain situations 2017
Share of adults in the United States who think it is acceptable to take a selfie in various circumstances as of February 2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Ranking of the largest web shops in Sweden in 2017, by revenueRanking of the largest web shops in Sweden in 2017, by revenue