Mobile Internet - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on mobile internet usage
As of 2015, worldwide mobile phone internet user penetration was 52.7 percent. In 2017, figures suggest that more than 63.4 percent of mobile phone users will access online content through their devices.
Mobile internet usage has worked its way into the daily life of smartphone and tablet users, enabling consumers to access information and share their lives on the go. Mobile social networks and apps are increasingly popular during everyday activities and social events. This constant connectedness to social networks is perpetuated by the fear of missing out. According to recent studies, 56 percent of U.S. social networkers suffer from FOMO.
Mobile devices and internet also influence the way consumers interact with media and has many further implications for TV ratings, advertising, mobile commerce and more. Second-screen usage refers to the usage of a second screen, generally a smartphone or tablet device, while also watching television. Mobile media consumption such as mobile audio streaming or mobile video are also on the rise - in the United States, more than 107 million users are projected to access online video content via mobile device. Mobile video revenue is comprised of pay-per-view downloads, advertising as well as subscriptions.
The usage of mobile devices for shopping activities has also become increasingly popular. Mobile commerce is still going strong, as U.S. retail m-commerces sales via smartphone are projected to surpass 27.73 billion dollars in 2015. Leading global retailers have also shown significant mobile commerce sales - Amazon's projected mobile web sales in 2013 were estimated to amount to 8 billion U.S. dollars. Mobile wallets and mobile payment apps are also becoming increasingly popular.
|Projected global mobile data traffic for 2020||30.6EB/mo||Details →|
|Global mobile video traffic per month||2,031,425TB||Details →|
|Mobile share of organic search engine visits in the U.S.||46%||Details →|
|Mobile phone internet user penetration worldwide||52.7%||Details →|
|Mobile phone internet penetration in the U.S.||75.1%||Details →|
|Percentage of peak period aggregate traffic of YouTube||19.16%||Details →|
|Mobile-only unique visitors to Apple Inc.||65.36m||Details →|
|Percentage of time spent on gaming apps on iOS and Android devices||15%||Details →|
|B2C m-commerce sales in the U.S.||$83.93bn||Details →|
|Mobile device usage for product search||34%||Details →|
- Time spent on apps on mobile devices 2015, by categoryTime spent on apps on mobile devices 2015, by category
Distribution of time spent on apps on mobile devices in the United States in June 2015, by category
- Global mobile data traffic 2015-2020Global mobile data traffic 2015-2020
Global mobile data traffic from 2015 to 2020 (in exabytes per month)
- Distribution of time spent on web and apps in the U.S. 2013-2015Distribution of time spent on web and apps in the U.S. 2013-2015
Percentage of time spent on mobile web and apps on connected devices in the United States from 2013 to 2015
- North America: mobile phone internet user penetration 2014-2019+North America: mobile phone internet user penetration 2014-2019
Mobile phone internet user penetration in North America from 2014 to 2019
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- China: mobile phone subscribers by month June 2016China: mobile phone subscribers by month June 2016
- Global number of internet users 2005-2016Global number of internet users 2005-2016
- Number of mobile subscriptions worldwide 1993-2016Number of mobile subscriptions worldwide 1993-2016