Mobile App Monetization - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Mobile App Monetization
Mobile apps are software applications designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. They are typically available through native distribution platforms called app stores. App stores are usually operated by the owners of the mobile operating system but third-party app stores such as the Amazon Appstore or Samsung's Galaxy Apps also exist. The most popular operating system-native stores are Apple's App Store, Google Play, as well as the Windows Phone Store and BlackBerry App World.
Whereas most apps are free, some are only available as paid downloads. Monetization of free-to-download mobile apps through in-app commerce or advertising is becoming more and more prevalent among app developers. For paid mobile apps, a share of the revenue goes to the distributor and the rest to the app developer. App revenue and monetization potential can vary by geographical region and by operating system.
Whereas mobile apps were originally offered as productivity and information retrieval tools such as calendars, e-mail, stock market and weather information, the market has rapidly expanded due to public demand and availability of developer tools. Currently, some of the most popular app categories include games, entertainment and education.
The expansion of the app market has furthermore assisted in the rise of social gaming, highlighted by the launch of the Facebook App Center. The social network's app center heavily features social gaming apps by developing companies such as Zynga, Rovio Entertainment, wooga and EA Games.
Picture: Apple App Store
|Projected number of app downloads by 2017||268,692m||Details →|
|Forecasted number of paid mobile app downloads by 2017||14.78bn||Details →|
|Worldwide mobile app revenues||$88.3bn||Details →|
|Total worldwide app store revenues||$36.2bn||Details →|
|App Store Metrics||Values||Statistic|
|Games category's share of total active apps||24.85%||Details →|
|Number of available games in iTunes App Store||631,091||Details →|
|Monetization & Business Models||Values||Statistic|
|In-game mobile gaming revenue in the U.S.||$1.51 bn||Details →|
|Share of paid Android apps||31.2%||Details →|
|Share of free Apple apps with in-app purchases||92%||Details →|
- LINE app: quarterly revenue 2012-2015LINE app: quarterly revenue 2012-2015
LINE Corporation's app revenue from 4th quarter 2012 to 4th quarter 2015 (in billion yen)
- Top grossing iOS mobile gaming apps 2017, ranked by daily revenueTop grossing iOS mobile gaming apps 2017, ranked by daily revenue
Top grossing iPhone mobile gaming apps in the United States as of January 2017, ranked by daily revenue (in U.S. dollars)
- Distribution of free and paid Android apps 2009-2015+Distribution of free and paid Android apps 2009-2015
Distribution of free and paid Android apps in the Google Play Store from 2009 to 2015
- Number of apps available in leading app stores 2016+Number of apps available in leading app stores 2016
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of June 2016
- Revenue per monthly active users of mobile messaging apps in 2015 and 2020+Revenue per monthly active users of mobile messaging apps in 2015 and 2020
Revenue per monthly active users of selected mobile messaging apps in 2015 and 2020 (in U.S. dollars)
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017
- U.S. internet usage penetration 2016, by age groupU.S. internet usage penetration 2016, by age group
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Mobile ad spend worldwide 2015-2020Mobile ad spend worldwide 2015-2020