Social Networks in China - Statistics & Facts
Facts and statistics about Social Networks in China
China is the world's largest social network market. Its market composition varies considerably from the rest of the world. Due to the Great Firewall of China, as the Chinese government’s internet censorship project is commonly called, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube, the leading international social-media players, are all blocked in China. However, China’s social media landscape is not incomparable with its western counterparts. Tencent’s Qzone, the most valuable social media brand in China as of 2013, is a combination of Facebook and Tumblr, where users share photos, leave messages and blog.
Micro blogging services Tencent Weibo and Sina Weibo ranked second and third in the most valuable social network brand ranking in 2013. The initial idea of micro blogging is similar to Twitter. Users are allowed to use 140 Chinese characters in one post. As one Chinese character may transport more content than a single English character, Weibo allows for more depth than Twitter. In relation, micro blogging services were most used for the acquisition of social news and information about interesting people such as entertainers or commentators. Seeing its potential for advertising and marketing, some forty percent of the top 500 Chinese companies had their own micro blogging accounts by 2012.
Another commonly used social media form in China is instant messaging. As of 2014, the penetration rate of instant messaging services in China had ranged much higher than that of other social networks. At that time, the most popular instant messengers in China were QQ and WeChat. Both are operated by Chinese internet giant Tencent. In addition to their already existing aptitude for mobile devices, recent instant messenger versions have integrated vital social network properties such as sharing pictures, raising once more the future of social media platforms.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|Leading Social Networks||Values||Statistic|
|Registered users of Qzone in China||560m||Details →|
|Estimated brand value of Sina Weibo||$3.99bn||Details →|
|Number of microblog users in China||280.78m||Details →|
|Share of Chinese internet users who write or follow microblogs||88.81%||Details →|
- User numbers of social networks in China 2010-2014+User numbers of social networks in China 2010-2014
Number of social network users in China in December 2010 to June 2014 (in millions)
- Leading social bookmarking sites in China 2012+Leading social bookmarking sites in China 2012
Leading social bookmarking sites in China in 2012
- Identity status of social network users in China, 2012+Identity status of social network users in China, 2012
Identity status of microblog, social network and LBS users in China in 2012
- China: social network penetration 2014-2021+China: social network penetration 2014-2021
Social network penetration in China from 2014 to 2021
- Container shipping companies worldwide - number of ships 2017Container shipping companies worldwide - number of ships 2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- China: weekly box office revenue - April 3 to April 9, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - April 3 to April 9, 2017
- Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017
- Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) in China by month March 2017Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) in China by month March 2017