Holiday Season E-Commerce - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Holiday Season E-commerce
In the United States, Christmas shopping season traditionally begins on Black Friday, the day following Thanksgiving Day. In 2015, holiday season desktop retail e-commerce spending in the United States amounted to 56.43 billion U.S. dollars with the most money being spent online on Cyber Monday. That year, Cyber Monday became the biggest U.S. online shopping day ever with close to 2.3 billion U.S. dollars in online spending. Spending via mobile devices reached 12.65 billion U.S. dollars.
Due to retailers’ shift to promoting online offers already during the Thanksgiving week, the holiday season has become increasingly digital. A July 2015 survey found that despite increasingly earlier sales promotions, the majority of online holiday shoppers were planning on starting their shopping in November of that year. Social media marketing and e-mail advertising is a big deal for retailers – 27 percent of survey respondents stated that messages about additional discounts or clearance sales would influence them to make a purchase at a local business for their holiday shopping needs. Social media is also an important place for consumers to get gift ideas, read reviews, to browse products and to coordinate gifts with friends and families.
Holiday shoppers have also increased their smartphone use – in 2014, 51 percent of smartphone holiday shoppers have used their device to get the best price and to save money. Other leading smartphone holiday shopping usage factors include saving time and quick research on the go, as well as acquiring mobile coupons and deals. Holiday shopping showrooming penetration has also grown over the years – in 2014, 45 percent of U.S. respondents in a holiday shopper survey stated that they were somewhat likely to look at an item in-store before purchasing it online. However, this also holds true for the reverse trend of webrooming as 48 percent of respondents also stated they were somewhat likely to look at an item online before purchasing it in-store. As a result, the retail experience has become a truly cross-channel one.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hanibaram; courtneyk
|eBay's annual net revenue in the U.S.||$3,624m||Details →|
|Amazon's annual net revenue in North America||$63.708bn||Details →|
|Weekly U.S. holiday expenditure of Amazon||$70.4m||Details →|
|Number of holiday season workers at Amazon||100,000||Details →|
|Leading holiday shopping activitiy via smartphone: coupon search||65%||Details →|
|Leading holiday shopping activity via tablet: online browsing||65%||Details →|
|Mobile sales share on Black Friday||36.2%||Details →|
- U.S. holiday season desktop retail e-commerce sales 2005-2015U.S. holiday season desktop retail e-commerce sales 2005-2015
Holiday season desktop retail e-commerce sales volume in the United States from 2005 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Cyber Monday: U.S. desktop online spending 2005-2015+Cyber Monday: U.S. desktop online spending 2005-2015
Desktop e-commerce spending in the United States on Cyber Monday from 2005 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Highest U.S. e-commerce spending days during 2015 holiday seasonHighest U.S. e-commerce spending days during 2015 holiday season
Highest U.S. e-commerce spending days during the 2015 holiday season (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. online holiday shopping consumer incentives 2013-2014+U.S. online holiday shopping consumer incentives 2013-2014
Which of the following would make you most likely to buy holiday gifts online?
- U.S. holiday shopping: visitor share of leading retail websites 2015U.S. holiday shopping: visitor share of leading retail websites 2015
Most visited retail websites in the United States in December 2015, by share of visits
- Preferred U.S. digital holiday shopping research channels 2015+Preferred U.S. digital holiday shopping research channels 2015
Preferred online holiday shopping research channels according to digital shoppers in the United States as of July 2015
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Value of consumers' e-commerce in the Nordics 2016Value of consumers' e-commerce in the Nordics 2016
- Share of mobile shoppers in the Nordics 2016Share of mobile shoppers in the Nordics 2016
- Online shoppers in the Nordic countries 2015-2016Online shoppers in the Nordic countries 2015-2016
- United States: retail e-commerce sales 2013-2020United States: retail e-commerce sales 2013-2020
- Online purchasing penetration in Great Britain 2008-2016Online purchasing penetration in Great Britain 2008-2016