This page provides statistics, facts and market data related to business-to-consumer (B2C) e-commerce. This includes information on B2C e-commerce volume and value, as well as individual sector B2C e-commerce figures, consumer buying habits, and region-, country-, or company-specific B2C e-commerce numbers.
Global B2C e-commerce sales reached 1.2 trillion dollars in 2013, of which 29.7 percent were generated by the United States. The US share of global e-commerce has been slowly but steadily decreasing, whereas China’s share has skyrocketed, nearly tripling between 2010 and 2012, demonstrating the broader economic trend of power shifting away from the United States. As a result of the spread of the internet and digital payments, the number of digital buyers is also growing and was expected to increase to over 1 billion people by the end of 2013, nearly one-seventh of the world’s population.
Online shopping provides around ten percent of the US retail revenue, and, according to recent statistics, approximately 22 percent of all of the disposable income worldwide was spent online.
Although B2C e-commerce is often used synonymously with online shopping or online retail, it also spans growing categories such as paid online services or paid content. Amazon, one of the world’s largest online retailers with about 237 million customer accounts as of the end of 2014, has branched into both services (with its cloud computing and storage) and paid content (such as its app store and digital media), making it a formidable force in e-commerce. Amazon also provides third-party sellers with a platform through which other businesses and individuals can reach customers.
Other B2C services include travel services, online payment providers such as PayPal, as well as the staggeringly popular online deal sites such as Groupon and LivingSocial.
Paid content, such as digital video, music, and books, has exploded in recent years with the growth of companies like Netflix, Spotify, iTunes, and various app stores. The digitization of newspapers and the success of e-readers are also integral factors to the prosperity and growth of paid content e-commerce.
Picture: photodune.net / almagami
- Spotify: number of active users worldwide 2012-2017Spotify: number of active users worldwide 2012-2017
- United States: number of smartphone buyers 2014-2020United States: number of smartphone buyers 2014-2020
- United States: number of smartphone shoppers 2016-2020United States: number of smartphone shoppers 2016-2020
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide 2017Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide 2017
- Share of U.S. e-commerce in total sales of selected goods 2015Share of U.S. e-commerce in total sales of selected goods 2015
Number of mobile Groupon app downloads worldwide as of March 2017 (in millions)
Groupon: number of mobile app downloads 2013-2017
Groupon's net income/loss from 1st quarter 2014 to 1st quarter 2017 (in million U.S. dollars)
Groupon: quarterly net income/loss 2014-2017
Revenue of Groupon from 1st quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2017 (in million U.S. dollars)
Groupon: quarterly revenue 2009-2017
Which of the following Amazon services and products do you use at least occasionally?
U.S. consumer usage of Amazon services and products 2017
Global net revenue of Amazon.com from 2014 to 2016, by segment (in billion U.S. dollars)
Global net revenue of Amazon 2014-2016, by segment
Number of available apps in the Amazon Appstore from March 2011 to April 2016
Amazon Appstore: number of available apps 2011-2016
Most popular devices for online shopping according to online shoppers worldwide in 2016, by region
Preferred devices for online shopping 2016, by region
Average number of annual online transactions per capita in global regions in 2016
Number of online shopping orders per capita 2016, by region
Retail e-commerce sales worldwide from 2014 to 2020 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Global retail e-commerce sales 2014-2020
How much have you spent on Facebook apps and in-app purchases over the past 12 months?
U.S. spending on Facebook apps and in-app purchases in the past 12 months 2017
How much have you spent on Google apps and in-app purchases over the past 12 months?
U.S. consumer spending on Google apps and in-app purchases in the past 12 months 2017
Leading iPad non-gaming app publishers worldwide in April 2017, by revenue (in 1,000 U.S. dollars)
Leading iPad non-gaming app publishers worldwide 2017, by revenue
Holiday season digital retail e-commerce sales volume in the United States from 2014 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
U.S. holiday season digital retail e-commerce sales 2014-2016
Which of the following would make you most likely to buy holiday gifts online?
U.S. online holiday shopping consumer incentives 2013-2014
Highest U.S. e-commerce spending days during the 2016 holiday season (in million U.S. dollars)
Highest U.S. e-commerce spending days during 2016 holiday season
- Mobile commerce in the United States statisticsMobile commerce in the United States
- Social commerce statisticsSocial commerce
- App stores statisticsApp stores
- U.S. consumers: Online Grocery Shopping statisticsU.S. consumers: Online Grocery Shopping
- Spotify statisticsSpotify
- Kickstarter statisticsKickstarter
- Digital coupons and deals statisticsDigital coupons and deals
- eBay statisticseBay
- Alibaba Group statisticsAlibaba Group
- E-commerce in the United Kingdom (UK) statisticsE-commerce in the United Kingdom (UK)
- PayPal statisticsPayPal
- E-commerce in the United States statisticsE-commerce in the United States
- E-commerce in Latin America statisticsE-commerce in Latin America
- E-commerce in India statisticsE-commerce in India
- Online shopping behavior in the United States statisticsOnline shopping behavior in the United States
- Chemicals & Resources
Chemicals & Resources
- Consumer Goods & FMCG
Consumer Goods & FMCG
- Energy & Environmental Services
Energy & Environmental Services
- Finance, Insurance & Real Estate
Finance, Insurance & Real Estate
- Health & Pharmaceuticals
Health & Pharmaceuticals
- Media & Advertising
Media & Advertising
- Metals & Electronics
Metals & Electronics
- Retail & Trade
Retail & Trade
- Sports & Recreation
Sports & Recreation
- Technology & Telecommunications
Technology & Telecommunications
- Transportation & Logistics
Transportation & Logistics
- Travel, Tourism & Hospitality
Travel, Tourism & Hospitality