Mobile social media - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about mobile social media
To say that social media is a global phenomenon is almost an understatement, as the number of worldwide social network users is expected to grow from 0.97 billion in 2010 to around 2.5 billion in 2018, around a third of Earth’s entire population. The average daily time spent on social networking has also increased in the past few years, as has the influence interactions on social networks might have on anything from one’s politics to music tastes, vacation destinations or purchasing decisions.
This increased usage of social networks might also be due to the popularization of mobile technologies in the past decade and the increasing availability and affordability of mobile internet. Mobile social networking is one of the most popular activities on smartphones and tablets, along with text messaging, taking photos and videos or playing games. Some networks, such as Facebook, started out as web-based and then extended towards access through mobile browsers and smartphone apps, while other networks, such as Instagram, were initially mobile and later developed into web-based platforms as well. An increasing number of social networks are therefore accessible through multiple platforms in order to offer users access to different features according to their needs, time and preferred device. There are however stark regional differences in use of mobile social networks. As of January 2016, some 52 percent of users in North America accessed social media via mobile while the gobal mobile social penetration rate was 27 percent.
On a worldwide scale, Facebook is the undeniable leader of social networks, with almost 1.6 billion active users around the world as of January 2016. Mark Zuckerberg’s invention is also increasingly accessed from mobile devices like no other social network website or application. As of the fourth quarter of 2015, some 823 million Facebook users accessed the social network exclusively via mobile device, up from 526 million users in the corresponding quarter of the previous year. Projections also show that by 2018, over 75 percent of Facebook users worldwide will access the service through their mobile phone. Furthermore, a recent study on the usage of the most popular mobile social networking properties in the United States shows that social media audiences spent a total of 230 billion minutes on Facebook in December 2014 alone, some 80 percent more than on Instagram, the second ranked social network. Other popular mobile social networks are LinkedIn, Snapchat, Pinterest, Tumblr, Vine, Twitter, Kakaotalk, while popular mobile chat apps include Whatsapp, WeChat and LINE.
- Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2014-2020Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2014-2020
Number of smartphone social network users in the United States from 2014 to 2020 (in millions)
- Number of mobile-only monthly active Facebook users 2011-2016Number of mobile-only monthly active Facebook users 2011-2016
Number of mobile-only monthly active Facebook users as of 4th quarter 2016 (in millions)
- Fastest growing social and messaging apps 2015Fastest growing social and messaging apps 2015
Fastest growing social and messaging apps worldwide as of 1st quarter 2015
- Global mobile social penetration rate 2017, by regionGlobal mobile social penetration rate 2017, by region
Global mobile social network penetration rate as of January 2017, by region
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017