Industry revenue of “direct life, health and medical insurance carriers“ in the U.S. 2011-2023

Despite turmoil in the global economy, the insurance industry has shown great resilience, continuing to generate growth around the world. The US is by far the largest insurance market in the world providing employment to nearly 2.7 million people in 2018. In fact many of the US insurance companies such as Prudential Financial, MetLife, American International Group (AIG) are much sought after by global consumers. The life, health and medical insurance segment dominates the market with a 72% share while non-life accounted for the remaining 28% in 2018.

High premium restricts access to life insurance

According to latest estimates, even though more than 90% of Americans have opted for health insurance, the number drops significantly to 57% when it comes to insuring life. SWNS Digital’s latest survey in May 2019 reveals high premiums as the primary reason for more than half of the respondents not signing up for life insurance. In addition, misconceptions about life insurance such as beneficiaries having to pay income taxes on the death benefit, which is untrue, is also restricting market growth. Thus, a gradual decline in the number of life insurers over the last few years comes as no surprise.

Industry revenue of “direct life, health and medical insurance carriers“ in the U.S. from 2011 to 2023

Revenue in billion U.S. Dollars
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Exclusive Corporate Account feature

To view this statistic you need a Corporate Account, which includes the following benefits

  • Access to all content
  • Download as XLS, PPT, PNG and PDF
  • Detailed source and background information
Corporate Account
$650 per month*
(billed annually)
* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax.
Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in
Source

Supplementary notes

* Estimate - This also applies for past years as data provided by statistical institutions often is not available for more recent years.

The industry classification is based on the Naics 2017 - system in the U.S.. The industry “direct life, health, and medical insurance carriers“ has the code “52411“.

Details on the methodology can be found here.

Please visit here for more information on Statista market forecasts.

Use Statista now: unlimited access to all content

Statistics on "Economic Outlook United States"

Use Statista now: unlimited access to all content
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.