Social networks such as Twitter and Facebook are not only used to connect with friends and acquaintances, but also to stay on top of the endless stream of news we are exposed to online. However, not every social network doubles as a news aggregator as this chart illustrates.
When Snapchat recently refused Facebook's $3 billion buyout offer, it also passed on the chance to become the biggest exit of an internet startup in the past decade. That crown belongs to Skype which was acquired by eBay for $2.56 billion in 2005.
We all interact with different kinds of media all day every day. But for most of us, it hasn't always been this way. Today's children grow up with an endless array of devices surrounding them and this chart illustrates how our youngest interact with media.
This chart shows which social networks drive the most traffic to websites.
Whenever a Reddit user submits a link or votes up someone else's post on "the frontpage of the internet", he is awarded what Reddit calls Karma points. This chart shows the Top 10 redditors with the best chance of virtual afterlife happiness.
This chart shows that, despite all the functionality added over the years, people still use Facebook for the same reason that it was originally build for: to stay in touch with friends and family.
The Ellen Show is the most-followed brand on Instagram. According to analytics firm Nitrogram, the talk show hosted by comedian Ellen DeGeneres has 3.04 million followers, just edging out National Geographic at 3.03 million followers.
Facebook is no longer the most popular social network among American teens. According to Piper Jaffray's biannual survey among thousands of American teens, the world's largest social network has been replaced by Twitter as U.S. teenagers' favorite social platform.
There's one simple reason why Facebook remains the most important social platform for brand marketers: reach. Coca-Cola, the no. 1 brand on Facebook, reaches more than ten times as many people as the most popular brands on Twitter and Google+.
The music industry is two steps ahead of other industries in the ongoing digitization of media distribution. Download and streaming services accounted for almost 60 percent of recorded music revenues in the U.S. in 2012, while other media industries struggle to find a viable strategy for digital distribution.
Despite the ongoing debate surrounding online privacy, surveillance and data abuse, Americans continue to share a lot of information online.
This chart shows smartphone platform market share figures for the United States, China and the EU5 countries (UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy).
This chart illustrates how brands are increasingly adopting Twitter to get their message across.
This charts illustrates how much time on average Americans spend with different online activities each day.
This chart shows the average daily circulation at the Top 10 U.S. newspapers between October 2012 and March 2013.
This chart shows the Top 10 traffic sources of The Pirate Bay, the world's most infamous piracy website.
This chart shows the percentage of traffic on American news websites that comes from social media sites.
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl