Reddit has released its 2019 Transparency Report showing the amount of requests that required the platform to remove content or disclose private user data. Out of 2.77 billion pieces of content created on Reddit in 2019, just over 53 million were removed for a variety of reasons. They include harassment, (39 percent), minor sexualization (25.2 percent) and violence (16.6 percent). The report also contained some interesting data on the governments around the world making the most content removal requests.
Like other platforms such as Twitter, Reddit has evolved into an important outlet for political discussion, debate and commentary, to the chagrin of some world leaders. It received 110 requests from government entities to remove or restrict access to certain content in 2019 and the report notes that such requests are made for several reasons, such as alleged violations of local law. Each request is scrutinized by Reddit and it may reject it if it is overboard or inconsistent with international law.
Turkey and Russia are well known for attempting to clamp down on criticism of their leaders and it hardly comes as a surprise to see both nations at the top of the Reddit censorship list. Turkey came first for removal requests in 2019 with 50 while Russia came second with 36. Out of the 110 requests made throughout the year, Reddit complied with 31 (37.3 percent) while no action was taken regarding the remaining 69 (62.7 percent).