Public opinion on Obamas' "Buffett rule" concept 2012

How should capital gains and dividends be taxed, in your opinion? (survey on the Buffett rule)

Public opinion on Obamas' This graph shows a poll regarding the American citizens' opinion on the "Buffett rule" concept brought up by Barack Obama. 52 percent of Americans say that capital gains and dividends should be taxed at the same rate as income earned from work, according to the poll.
According to Wikipedia, the Buffett Rule is a tax plan proposed by President Barack Obama in 2011 to alleviate income inequality in the United States between the top 1percent of Americans and the remaining 99 percent of Americans, due to the disproportionate income growth in the 1 percent- group as compared to the 99 percent- group. The tax plan would apply to individuals earning more than 1 million U.S. dollars per year; this comprised the top 450,000 of Americans by income when the rule was proposed.
The plan is named after American investor Warren Buffett, who publicly stated in early 2011 that he disagreed with the rich paying less in federal taxes, as a portion of income, than the middle class, and has voiced support for increased taxes on the wealthy. It would implement a higher minimum tax rate for taxpayers in the highest income bracket to ensure that they do not pay a lower percentage of income in taxes than less-affluent Americans.
Show more

How should capital gains and dividends be taxed, in your opinion? (survey on the Buffett rule)

Loading statistic...
Share of respondents
At the same rate as work income52%
At a lower rate than work income36%
At a higher rate than work income2%
Don't know/no answer10%
Share of respondents
At the same rate as work income52%
At a lower rate than work income36%
At a higher rate than work income2%
Don't know/no answer10%
Download Settings Share
Download started
Please be patient - this may take a moment
This graph shows a poll regarding the American citizens' opinion on the "Buffett rule" concept brought up by Barack Obama. 52 percent of Americans say that capital gains and dividends should be taxed at the same rate as income earned from work, according to the poll.
According to Wikipedia, the Buffett Rule is a tax plan proposed by President Barack Obama in 2011 to alleviate income inequality in the United States between the top 1percent of Americans and the remaining 99 percent of Americans, due to the disproportionate income growth in the 1 percent- group as compared to the 99 percent- group. The tax plan would apply to individuals earning more than 1 million U.S. dollars per year; this comprised the top 450,000 of Americans by income when the rule was proposed.
The plan is named after American investor Warren Buffett, who publicly stated in early 2011 that he disagreed with the rich paying less in federal taxes, as a portion of income, than the middle class, and has voiced support for increased taxes on the wealthy. It would implement a higher minimum tax rate for taxpayers in the highest income bracket to ensure that they do not pay a lower percentage of income in taxes than less-affluent Americans.
Show more
Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $588 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.

Premium Account
Your perfect start with Statista
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references

$49 / Month *

Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax.
Leading companies trust Statista:
paypalgoogleadobepgsamsungtelekom
Statista has been my savior on several occasions. The site is easy to maneuver and the data is in a format that can go right into a report or presentation.
Marlene Greenfield

Marlene Greenfield
Vice President, Hearst Magazines

Statistics on "2012 U.S. election part II voter and candidate"
  • Overview on the latest polls
  • Candidates' traits and public approval
  • Voter priorities 2012
  • Voter demographics 2012
  • Candidates' performance in social media
  • Historical election data
Discover Statista
Need help with using Statista for your research? Tutorials and first steps
Further Content: Statistics, Studies, and Topic Pages
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.
Do you have any questions about our business solutions?

We provide you with detailed information about our Corporate Account.