Beauty Brands on Social Media - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on beauty brands on social media
Most beauty brands discovered the marketing and advertising potential of social networks, making great use of the visual medium and user engagement to increase brand loyalty. Instagram is popular in the beauty industry, as nearly all major beauty brands had an Instagram profile in 2016. MAC Cosmetics is the leading beauty brand on Instagram with just over 12 million followers. The cosmetics brand is also the most popular health and beauty brand on Twitter. Anastasia Beverly Hills is the second most popular brand on Instagram, followed by Sephora. Another popular social network where beauty brands interact with customers and fans is Facebook. Industry rankings indicate that Dove, L’Oréal Paris and NIVEA are the most popular beauty brands Facebook based on the number of followers. Instant messaging app Snapchat is growing in popularity amongst beauty brands as well – nearly 60 percent of beauty brands already had a profile on the platform in 2016.
Online video content is one of the most important social media marketing channels for beauty brands. In June 2016, beauty-related content generated more than 5 billion views per month on YouTube alone. Most beauty content on YouTube is generated through beauty vloggers or beauty creators rather than through official brand accounts. During that same measured period, about 97.4 percent of the conversation and buzz on social media about beauty brands on YouTube were generated by beauty vloggers and independent content creators. The most popular type of beauty content video created by beauty vloggers is makeup tutorials. In terms of leading YouTube beauty and style channels, Mexican beauty YouTuber Yuya ranks first in number of subscribers with just over 16 million as of late 2016. English YouTuber Zoella and American vlogger Bethany Mota have the second and third most popular beauty and style channels on YouTube.
Online mobile photo-sharing, video-sharing and social networking services are important tools for beauty brands to reach the increasingly growing mobile audiences by appealing to the social sharing aspect of the medium. Many customers use digital mediums to gather information about beauty products before making in-store retail purchases. With the goal of enhancing their appeal and presence on social networking sites, brands often turn to celebrities and YouTubers for partnerships and endorsement of their brands/products, or have advertising contracts with them. YouTubers can generate millions in revenue with partnerships and advertising as well as sponsored content and event appearances.
Picture: istockphoto.com / Gordo25, jhuting
- YouTube: beauty brand conversation mentions 2013+YouTube: beauty brand conversation mentions 2013
Total views of videos mentioning selected beauty brands on YouTube as of 2013 (in millions)
- YouTube: average video length of beauty brands and vloggers 2013+YouTube: average video length of beauty brands and vloggers 2013
Average YouTube video length of beauty brands and beauty vloggers in 2013
- Most-followed beauty brands on Twitter 2017Most-followed beauty brands on Twitter 2017
Leading beauty and cosmetics brands on Twitter as of January 2017, by followers (in 1,000s)
- Facebook: number of followers of popular beauty brands 2016Facebook: number of followers of popular beauty brands 2016
Leading beauty brands with the most followers on Facebook as of October 2016 (in millions)
- China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region January 2017China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region January 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2007-2016Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2007-2016
- Sales of the leading luxury companies worldwide 2012-2018Sales of the leading luxury companies worldwide 2012-2018
- CAGR of the leading global cosmetic companies between 2015-2018CAGR of the leading global cosmetic companies between 2015-2018