Cable Still Has the Edge Over Netflix in the U.S.
In the past few years, there has been a lot of talk about cord-cutting, i.e. people abandoning cable TV in favor of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime Instant Video. But even though the number of cable subscribers has recently started to decline, at least for now, cable remains by far the most popular type of Pay TV in the United States. 70 percent of the respondents in a June 2013 survey conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers stated that they currently subscribe to cable TV. 41 percent of the respondents were Netflix subscribers, followed by 26 percent who paid for satellite TV.
Maybe Netflix' recent push towards original content will help the company to lure away more cable customers in the future: 63 percent of the respondents in PwC's survey consider original content important when deciding on a video subscription service.
- Number of pay TV subscribers in Germany 2006-2015Number of pay TV subscribers in Germany 2006-2015
- Pay TV revenue in Latin America 2010-2021, by platformPay TV revenue in Latin America 2010-2021, by platform
- U.S. pay TV subscribers with Netflix subscription 2013-2014, by ageU.S. pay TV subscribers with Netflix subscription 2013-2014, by age
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Most watched TV networks in the U.S. 2016Most watched TV networks in the U.S. 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl