People Spend More Time Looking at Screens Than Ever
Americans spent more time than ever before looking at all kinds of screens. According to Nielsen's latest Cross-Platform Report, U.S. consumers spent an average of 270 hours per month watching TV or using smartphones, PCs and other devices in the first quarter of 2014.
Smartphone usage has seen the biggest increase since last year's first quarter, with people now spending 7 hours more per month using apps or browsing on their mobile phones. The only two categories that saw a slight decrease are live TV and Blu-Ray / DVD playback. Despite the small decrease in usage, live TV still accounts for the lion's share of people's screen time. On average, Americans spent 160 hours a month watching traditional TV in Q1.
- Daily media use per person in the U.S. 2016Daily media use per person in the U.S. 2016
- Number of global social network users 2010-2020Number of global social network users 2010-2020
- Weekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by ageWeekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by age
- Time spent with media in the U.S. 2011-2018Time spent with media in the U.S. 2011-2018
- Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl