U.S. Physicians - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about U.S. physicians
In 2013, there were over one million doctors of medicine all over the United States. This figure included some 148,000 inactive and some 44,000 unclassified physicians. The U.S. has a less marked physician density compared to some other countries. Looking at individual U.S. states, Washington D.C., Massachusetts and Maryland have the highest number of physicians per civilian population. Among specialists, psychiatrists are the most prevalent physicians. Approximately one quarter of all active U.S. physicians were educated abroad.
Expenditure for physician and clinical services stood at some 600 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. Thus, such services accounted for one fifth of total U.S. healthcare spending. The largest proportion of costs for these services was paid via private health insurances, followed by Medicare payments.
Compensation for physicians is always a controversial issue, especially in times of economic crisis and growing health costs. Orthopedics and plastic surgeons include the highest-earning physicians. With some 489,000 and 440,000 U.S. dollars respectively, these specialists have the highest average annual compensation for patient care. The highest-paid physicians live in the north central part of the U.S., where the mean compensation stood at some 317,000 U.S. dollars as of early 2017.
In the U.S., a generalist physician receives more than 3,500 annual visits, while a specialist receives around 2,700 visits. According to a survey, the most frequently mentioned amount of time spent with each patient is within the range of 13 to 16 minutes. 70 percent of all general physicians provide more than 31 hours of direct patient care per week, and 40 percent have evening and weekend working hours. For specialists, these figures stand at 61 and 19 percent respectively. In general, the level of satisfaction of U.S. Americans with their physicians is very high.
Photo: istockphoto.com / daft_lion_studio
|Leading U.S. state based on the total number of active physicians||California||Details →|
|Top U.S. state by number of active physicians per 10,000 civilian population||District of Columbia||Details →|
|Physician and clinical expenditures in 2014||603.7bn USD||Details →|
|Annual compensation earned by orthopedic physicians as of 2016||489,000 USD||Details →|
|Top state for annual compensation of physicians as of 2016||North Dakota||Details →|
|Annual compensation for female specialist physicians as of 2016||242,000 USD||Details →|
|Work relative value units per urologist in the U.S.||7,649||Details →|
|Percentage of patients that were "very satisfied" with their most recent visit to a physician as of 2015||53%||Details →|
|Percentage of doctors that spend 25 minutes or more with their female patients as of 2016||15%||Details →|
|Number of U.S. medical malpractice payments in 2013||9,677||Details →|
|Value of medical malpractice payments in the U.S. as of 2013||3.26bn USD||Details →|
|Medical malpractice payments as a percentage of overall health care costs in 2013||0.11%||Details →|
- Total doctors of medicine in the U.S. 1949-2013+Total doctors of medicine in the U.S. 1949-2013
Total number of doctors of medicine in the U.S. from 1949 to 2013*
- Annual visits at general and specialty physicians in the U.S. 1999-2010+Annual visits at general and specialty physicians in the U.S. 1999-2010
Annual visits at general and specialty physicians in the U.S. in 1999-2000 and 2009-2010
- Physician and clinical services spending in the U.S. by payer 2010-2014+Physician and clinical services spending in the U.S. by payer 2010-2014
Physician and clinical services spending in the United States from 2010 to 2014, by payer
- Highest grossing movies at the global box office 2016Highest grossing movies at the global box office 2016
- Number of active physicians in Wyoming 2017, by specialty areaNumber of active physicians in Wyoming 2017, by specialty area
- Annual compensation earned by U.S. physicians by specialty 2017Annual compensation earned by U.S. physicians by specialty 2017
- Mean physician compensation by U.S. region 2017Mean physician compensation by U.S. region 2017
- Time U.S. physicians spent with each patient 2017Time U.S. physicians spent with each patient 2017