The LP is Back!
The LP continued its unlikely comeback in 2013, with vinyl album sales in the United States reaching 6 million units! As opposed to CD sales which declined 14.5 percent and digital album sales which stagnated, LP sales grew by 32 percent from 4.55 million units in 2012. Overall album sales suffered an 8.4 percent decline, slumping to 289.4 million from 316 million units in 2012. Last year's music sales have likely been negatively affected by the growing adoption of streaming services such as Spotify and Pandora. As a consequence digital music sales declined for the first time since Nielsen SoundScan started measuring digital sales.
Between 2002 and 2012, Vinyl LP sales in the United States had already increased by 250 percent , while total recorded music shipments had dropped nearly 50 percent. Unfortunately, the resurgence of the LP only has a marginal effect on the industry as a whole. In 2013, vinyl albums accounted for just two percent of total album sales in the U.S., while CDs (57.2%) and digital albums (40.6%) accounted for the lion's share of sales.
- Global digital music revenue 2005-2015Global digital music revenue 2005-2015
- Digital music revenue in the U.S. by source 2010-2019Digital music revenue in the U.S. by source 2010-2019
- Digital music revenue in the U.S. from 2008 to 2016, by typeDigital music revenue in the U.S. from 2008 to 2016, by type
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016
- Daily media usage in Sweden 2016, by mediumDaily media usage in Sweden 2016, by medium
- Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020
- Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015
- Album unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016, by formatAlbum unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016, by format
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl